[comp.lang.apl] J, Version 2.9

ljdickey@watmath.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (02/23/91)

			J, Version 2.9
			and other APL Software
			at Waterloo

Several implementations of J, Version 2.9, are now available
on the file server

	watserv1.waterloo.edu
	also known as 129.97.129.140

at the University of Waterloo.   In the directory "languages/apl/j",
anonymous ftp users will find J for these systems:

	atari_st
	mips
	sgi
	sun4

Earlier releases of J are available for certain other systems:

	vax_bsd
	sun386i
	next
	pc
	mac

An index showing all files available is "languages/apl/j/index".
As new versions of J become available, this index will be updated.

Another flavor of APL, called "ratapl" is available.

Two APL fonts (or folios) may be obtained.  One, a postscript line font
called "APL2741", was derived from scanned images from an ancient 2741
golfball terminal equiped with an APL typing element.  The other font
is an X-windows font.

Currently, this service is being provided on an experimental basis, and
there are no promises that it will continue on a long term basis, nor
is there any warantee of serviceability or completeness of the software
distributed from watserv1.

It is hoped that eventually there will be a mail server for the same
range of software to those who have e-mail access but no ftp access,
but a userid for this mail service has not been announced yet.  In
the meantime, users who do not have ftp but who do have e-mail
may find the service  "BITFTP at PUCC"  helpfull.  For example
this mail message

		To: bitftp@pucc.bitnet

		FTP watserv1.waterloo.edu UUENCODE
		USER anonymous
		CD languages/apl
		BINARY
		GET index
		QUIT

was successful in acquiring the index.

shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter S. Shenkin) (02/25/91)

In article <1991Feb22.172035.18059@watmath.waterloo.edu> ljdickey@watmath.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) writes:

>Several implementations of J, Version 2.9, are now available
>on the file server
>
>	watserv1.waterloo.edu
>	also known as 129.97.129.140
>	sgi

Oh boy!  I just got J and put it up on my personal Iris (4d25tg, IRIX 3.2.1).
I do intend to send in my $24, become a registered user and get the printed
manual, but in the meantime, could some kind soul please tell me how to
use these tutorial.js and tut/tut??.js files?  Are they special J files
that are to be invoked somehow from within J?  If so, how?  If not, how
are they used?

I tried "j < tutorial.js", and this prints the line "J Tutorial", then
immediately exits.  Other attempts, from within J, failed in more obvious
ways.

Suggestion to the Powers That Be:  You might add a line to readme.doc, telling
how to get started with the tutorial;  I suppose a man page is too much to
ask for    :-)    .

	-P.

************************f*u*cn*rd*ths*u*cn*gt*a*gd*jb**************************
Peter S. Shenkin, Department of Chemistry, Barnard College, New York, NY  10027
(212)854-1418  shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu(Internet)  shenkin@cunixf(Bitnet)
***"In scenic New York... where the third world is only a subway ride away."***

dean@gacvx2.gac.edu (02/25/91)

In article <1991Feb24.200545.21350@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter S. Shenkin) writes:
> In article <1991Feb22.172035.18059@watmath.waterloo.edu> ljdickey@watmath.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) writes:

.... deleted stuff

> Oh boy!  I just got J and put it up on my personal Iris (4d25tg, IRIX 3.2.1).
> I do intend to send in my $24, become a registered user and get the printed
> manual, but in the meantime, could some kind soul please tell me how to
> use these tutorial.js and tut/tut??.js files?  Are they special J files
> that are to be invoked somehow from within J?  If so, how?  If not, how
> are they used?
>
> I tried "j < tutorial.js", and this prints the line "J Tutorial", then
> immediately exits.  Other attempts, from within J, failed in more obvious
> ways.

The .js files are (apparently) the J equivalent of apl workspaces.  Look in the
rununix.doc file, if you picked it up in your .tar.  It tells how to initiate
the tutorial from within J.  I haven't yet figured out just _what_ it does,
however.....any suggestions???

...more deleted stuff!

----------

dean kelley

ljdickey@watmath.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (02/25/91)

In article <1991Feb24.200545.21350@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter S. Shenkin) writes:
>Suggestion to the Powers That Be:  You might add a line to readme.doc, telling
>how to get started with the tutorial;  I suppose a man page is too much to
>ask for    :-)    .

It is my fault that the file "rununix.doc" was not included.
I have corrected that.

What you can do is this:

	(1) Start J
	(2) Within J, type either of the commands:

		)script 'tutorial.js"
		)sscript 'tutorial.js"

	(3) Then type

		tuorial ''

However, I found that for my own purposes, that it was convenient to
have a printed page near my screen, so that I could use the printed
page as a model for what I typed.

rbe@yrloc.ipsa.reuter.COM (Robert Bernecky) (02/27/91)

To get the J tutorial to run, try this:

)script 'tutorial.js'
tutorial ''

I think that'll do it. It works on my glorious msdos dinosaur. Bob

Bob Bernecky
Snake Island Research Inc.