[comp.lang.apl] brackets

jaxon@sp27.csrd.uiuc.edu (Greg P. Jaxon) (03/01/91)

> Brackets are anomalous in APL

Indeed their effects on the object to their left are basically left up
to that object.  But I associated one semantic action with the OBJ to [
binding in APLB:  The value of #IO to be used when interpreting the
content of the brackets was picked up at this point.  The limit on RANK
was also applied here (if OBJ was data, ['s could have no more than RANK - 1
semicolons, if OBJ was not data, no semicolons, and value(s) in range for
axis numbers (remember laminate?))

The binding of #IO allows an axis specifier to become part of a derived
function and be used in a different #IO binding without changing the
axis being specified.  One advantage of "rank" is that axes aren't numbered,
they are counted!  Does J have a variable #IO, or have we finally been spared
that disaster?

ljdickey@watmath.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Feb28.200918.6276@csrd.uiuc.edu> jaxon@sp27.csrd.uiuc.edu
	(Greg P. Jaxon) writes:

>  ... One advantage of "rank" is that axes aren't numbered, they are counted!
>Does J have a variable #IO, or have we finally been spared that disaster?

No disaster; the index origin is zero.

--
Prof L.J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, U of Waterloo, Canada N2L 3G1
	Internet:	ljdickey@watmath.waterloo.edu