[net.movies] The Last Dragon

uggworek@sunybcs.UUCP (Donald Gworek) (04/01/85)

Went to see this purely on the review in "At The Movies".  (Gene thumbs
up/Roger reluctantly thumbs down)

Don't expect much, but this is entertaining.  It's a mild Kung Fu pic.
More of a sequence of rock videos (this is a Motown picture, after all)
than Kung Fu.

A Kung Fu apprentice is set on a quest to find a master and receive
'the glow'.  A TV show host is threatened by cliche thugs to play a trashy
video (FUNNY!) on her program.  The apprentice is asked to protect her
and in the process he is confronted by a the Shogun Of Harlem, a
self-centered bully fighter, and during this climatic battle, the
apprentice recieves 'the glow' and becomes a master of Kung Fu.

The movie is totally absurd, and it KNOWS it!!!  There isn't a serious
moment in it--totally off the wall!  I didn't stop laughing!  From a
fighter who looks like a cross between Mr T and Santa Claus, to the
apprentice's pizza dough throwing fiesty Mom (a very funny scene!).

Female lead 'Vanity' is very attractive, and her 'Seventh Heaven' song is
one of my favorites in the soundtrack album.  Other good songs are
'Fire', and 'Inside You'.  I wish the lyric-less action music was
available--very energetic and very DANCE.

"The Last Dragon" is an entertaining junk film.  I liked it, but I'm
going to be mean and rate it Three Stars, or "Average".

-- Don Gworek

srt@ucla-cs.UUCP (04/04/85)

In article <1434@sunybcs.UUCP> uggworek@sunybcs.UUCP (Donald Gworek) writes:

>       ....  A TV show host is threatened by cliche thugs to play a trashy
>video (FUNNY!) on her program.

If this video doesn't become an "MTV Classic" I'll be severely disappointed
in the youth of today.  You have to see it, but sufficient to say that its
a parody of the finest sort, with music no worse than the best of Madonna.

						-- Scott Turner