[comp.lang.apl] PostScript font

ljdickey@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Leroy J. Dickey) (04/19/91)

I am pleased to announce the availbility of a second PostScript font
for APL at the file server "watserv1.waterloo.edu".  Files in this
collection can be obtained by anonymous ftp from the directory
"languages/apl/fonts/PostScript".

This font was designed by Joey K Tuttle (thanks Joey), of Reuter:file
(previously I.P.Sharp Associates) and supplied by Robert Bernecky,
<rbe@yrloc.ipsa.reuter.COM>, of Snake Island Research Inc (thanks Bob).

This particular collection of files seems to be designed for use on an
IBM PC, because the files have CR,LF at the end of each line and there
are references to things like PF1/PF2, and so on, but maybe they could
be adapted for use with some other ``platform'', if you know what is
going on, or have the help of someone who knows what is going on.

Bob has a lot to say about this stuff, and ends his 300+ line "readme"
file by listing some reference works and then closes with these words:

	If you think you are brain damaged, cannot comprehend the
	contents of the TeXbook, and are sure that there is no sensible
	organization or sense to the LaTeX books, relax: Nobody else
	can understand them either.  Even things as simple as printing
	a dollar sign or backslash are less than obvious. However, get
	it right once, and everything is swell after that.

	Best of luck, and may you go forth and create beautiful publications.

So, to quote RBE:
Best of luck, and may you go forth and create beautiful publications.

--
Prof L.J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, U of Waterloo, Canada  N2L 3G1
	Internet:	ljdickey@watmath.waterloo.edu

rbe@yrloc.ipsa.reuter.COM (Robert Bernecky) (04/21/91)

In article <1991Apr18.211038.7601@watserv1.waterloo.edu> ljdickey@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Leroy J. Dickey) writes:
>I am pleased to announce the availbility of a second PostScript font
>This font was designed by Joey K Tuttle (thanks Joey), of Reuter:file
>(previously I.P.Sharp Associates) and supplied by Robert Bernecky,
><rbe@yrloc.ipsa.reuter.COM>, of Snake Island Research Inc (thanks Bob).

Actually, the font was, I believe, designed by Joey, then modified
by Martin Gfeller, of Reuters, formerly I.P. Sharp Associates, to
use courier font for the first alphabet. I consider this superior to
Joey's original design, in that the alpha and omega no longer look
almost identical to the lower case a and w (No relative of the Rute Bheer).

Hmm. Alpha and Omega rhute bheer?

k>This particular collection of files seems to be designed for use on an
>IBM PC, because the files have CR,LF at the end of each line and there
>are references to things like PF1/PF2, and so on, but maybe they could
>be adapted for use with some other ``platform'', if you know what is
>going on, or have the help of someone who knows what is going on.

This is correct. I included "typical" dos batch files for use with Tex,
Dvips, and qapl2 (replaces apl symbols with TeX macros). On my system,
these batch files were invoked under the Still River Shell, as PF keys,
hence the bat file names.

>	If you think you are brain damaged, cannot comprehend the
>	contents of the TeXbook, and are sure that there is no sensible
>	organization or sense to the LaTeX books, relax: Nobody else
>	can understand them either.  Even things as simple as printing
>	a dollar sign or backslash are less than obvious. However, get
>	it right once, and everything is swell after that.

I REEELLY REALLY wish SOMEONE would make a READABLE and USABLE TeX
manual. LaTeX is not QUITE as bad, but both require a PHD in computers
(note my refusal to call it a science) AND typography to use without
gnashing of teeth.

Robert Bernecky      rbe@yrloc.ipsa.reuter.com  bernecky@itrchq.itrc.on.ca
Snake Island Research Inc  (416) 368-6944   FAX: (416) 360-4694
18 Fifth Street, Ward's Island
Toronto, Ontario M5J 2B9
Canada

sam@kalessin.jpl.nasa.gov (Sam Sirlin) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr21.012849.3815@yrloc.ipsa.reuter.COM>, rbe@yrloc.ipsa.reuter.COM (Robert Bernecky) writes:
|> I REEELLY REALLY wish SOMEONE would make a READABLE and USABLE TeX
|> manual.

I agree. One book that I think helps alot is

Abrahams, Berry, Hargreaves, "TeX for the Impatient," Addison Wesley
1990.

It has lots of examples and discussion.

--
Sam Sirlin