[comp.lang.apl] Sorting Columns

rjfrey@kepler.com (Robert J Frey) (04/29/91)

My original response to this problem dealt with sorting the columns as units,
rather than sorting each column interally. Here is a function which solves
the latter in Dyalog APL:

[0]	R assign COLUMN_GRADE X
[1]	R assign gradedown foreach X assign split[quadIO] X
[3]	R assign transpose mix R(disclose foreach compose enclose) foreach X

where split is up-arrow, mix is down-arrow and compose is jot. The idiom

	(disclose foreach compose enclose)

approximates indexing as a function.

Regards,

Robert

adam@ste.dyn.bae.co.uk (Adam Curtin) (04/30/91)

In article <569@kepler1.kepler.com> rjfrey@kepler.com (Robert J Frey) writes:
>My original response to this problem dealt with sorting the columns as units,
>rather than sorting each column interally. Here is a function which solves
>the latter in Dyalog APL:
>
>[0]	R assign COLUMN_GRADE X
>[1]	R assign gradedown foreach X assign split[quadIO] X
>[3]	R assign transpose mix R(disclose foreach compose enclose) foreach X
>
>where split is up-arrow, mix is down-arrow and compose is jot. The idiom

You transposed these two. "split-down, mix-up". John Scholes gets them confused,
too!

Adam
--
/home/research/adam/.signature: No such file or directory