[comp.lang.apl] Do I really need a loop

liebtag@stlvm20.vnet.ibm.com ("David Liebtag") (05/17/91)

Pat Monardo,

   Any argument that concludes that ANY language has no value on the
basis of how difficult it is to multiply the values in the rows
of a matrix by the values in a vector is patently absurd.

Regards,
David Liebtag

monardo@cshl.org (Pat Monardo) (05/18/91)

In article <9105171506.AA23991@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> liebtag@stlvm20.vnet.ibm.com ("David Liebtag") writes:
>Pat Monardo,
>
>   Any argument that concludes that ANY language has no value on the
>basis of how difficult it is to multiply the values in the rows
>of a matrix by the values in a vector is patently absurd.

true. i should have said has no value to me. i also believe
that the rank operator is a wonderful invention, up there in
the top ten computer inventions of all time.

rbe@yrloc.ipsa.reuter.COM (Robert Bernecky) (05/18/91)

In article <9105171506.AA23991@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> liebtag@stlvm20.vnet.ibm.com ("David Liebtag") writes:
>Pat Monardo,
>
>   Any argument that concludes that ANY language has no value on the
>basis of how difficult it is to multiply the values in the rows
>of a matrix by the values in a vector is patently absurd.

Dave, you have HIT the nail on the head!  As you clearly point out,
the Real Problem is how to apply an arbitrary function to arbitrary
subsets of an array. Let's see how different languages address this
issue.

Bob

Robert Bernecky      rbe@yrloc.ipsa.reuter.com  bernecky@itrchq.itrc.on.ca
Snake Island Research Inc  (416) 368-6944   FAX: (416) 360-4694
18 Fifth Street, Ward's Island
Toronto, Ontario M5J 2B9
Canada

In article <1991May18.043951.926@yrloc.ipsa.reuter.COM> rbe@yrloc.ipsa.reuter.COM (Robert Bernecky) writes:
>In article <9105171506.AA23991@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> liebtag@stlvm20.vnet.ibm.com ("David Liebtag") writes:
>>Pat Monardo,
>>
>>   Any argument that concludes that ANY language has no value on the
>>basis of how difficult it is to multiply the values in the rows
>>of a matrix by the values in a vector is patently absurd.
>
>Dave, you have HIT the nail on the head!  As you clearly point out,
>the Real Problem is how to apply an arbitrary function to arbitrary
>subsets of an array. Let's see how different languages address this
>issue.

actually i was being nice because i knew i was too harsh.
but i do see a bit of irony in David's message since we ARE talking about
APL. I think it is fair to critize an array language on how
well it can deal with array subsets (as i think Bob is saying).
And APL is the best one i know about. I know about S, which is
almost as good as basic APL for array processing. In fact i use S
all the time. S is a good replacement for standard APL. But give
me a system with rank, merge, and from and i'd love it.