[comp.lang.apl] Rank, From, etc. and APL2

liebtag@stlvm20.vnet.ibm.com ("David Liebtag") (05/20/91)

   Bob Bernecky correctly points out that the real of topic of
discussion should be how to apply an arbitrary function to an
arbitrary subset of an array.

   Unfortunately, I am not willing to be the heavy (read APL2
advocate) in this discussion.  Although I do believe that APL2's
nested arrays are very useful in a wide variety of situations,
in these particular cases (where you're trying to select
subsets of rectangular arrays) I agree that Rank is the correct
solution.  I too wish APL2 included it.

   However, I don't get to call all the shots in APL2 development.
Other people are involved in the decision about what gets into
APL2 in any particular release cycle.

   I don't feel I am qualified to carry on the argument and I feel
there would be a conflict of interest (since I'm on your side
on this one.)

   Hope this doesn't just sound like a cop-out.

Regards,
David Liebtag

monardo@cshl.org (Pat Monardo) (05/21/91)

In article <9105201628.AA20201@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> liebtag@stlvm20.vnet.ibm.com ("David Liebtag") writes:

>   Bob Bernecky correctly points out that the real of topic of
>discussion should be how to apply an arbitrary function to an
>arbitrary subset of an array.
>
>   I don't feel I am qualified to carry on the argument and I feel
>there would be a conflict of interest (since I'm on your side
>on this one.)
>
>   Hope this doesn't just sound like a cop-out.

actually, i took the BIG cop out. i dont use APL. i miss it
though. what would be terrific if i volunteer to build
a C++ Array library for general purpose use and i would get
consulting help from the gurus in exchange for making it shareware.
ideally it would be complete enough for people to base an interpreter on.
people who dont want to endure the constraints of the workspace,
the dependence on an interpreter vendor, etc, but would like to
have access to *something* in the spirit of APL would benefit
greatly. the interesting issue is how to make rank, frames,
merge/from useful outside of an APL interpreter.