[comp.lang.fortran] Fortran 8x ANSI standard

maxson@cfa.harvard.EDU (Charles Maxson) (11/19/86)

Does anyone know the current status of the ANSI Fortran 8x standard?
If so, could you mail or post a brief update on the expected timetable
of the X3J3 committee? Has the parallel processing constructs question
been resolved? When might a draft standard be available?
--
-- Charles W. Maxson    (617)495-7178
-- Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics,

notes@hcx1.UUCP (11/21/86)

>/***** hcx1:comp.lang.fortran / cfa!maxson /  1:04 pm  Nov 19, 1986*/
>Does anyone know the current status of the ANSI Fortran 8x standard?
>If so, could you mail or post a brief update on the expected timetable
>of the X3J3 committee? Has the parallel processing constructs question
>been resolved? When might a draft standard be available?
>--
>-- Charles W. Maxson    (617)495-7178
>-- Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics,
>    60 Garden St., Cambridge, MA  02138
>-- ARPA:   maxson@cfa.HARVARD.EDU
>-- UUCP:   {seismo,ihnp4}!harvard!cfa!maxson
>/* ---------- */

   I am the alternate for Harris on the committee.  It is currently being
   voted on to determine whether we should submit it to X3 (this vote
   is almost certainly going to be favorable).  X3 will sit on it for
   from 3 to 6 months, then very likely approve it.  Then it will go
   out for public review for (I think) 6 months.  The committee must
   address every response from the "public", and if any changes are
   made it goes out for public review again, and so on.

   As to the parallel processing constructs, if you mean array operations,
   then they are still in.  I might be able to mail you a copy of the
   draft standard, and at the very least can give you the address of
   someone who can for sure.  If you are interested, let me know.
   In general, I am willing to discuss any Fortran 8X standards issues
   anyone wants to bring up.

   Bob Allison   (305)973-5379
   Harris Computer Systems Division
   2101 W Cypress Creek Rd
   Ft. Lauderdale, Fl 33309-1892
   UUCP:   {codes, allegra}!novavax!hcx1!boba

In article <129@hcx1.UUCP>, notes@hcx1.UUCP writes:
>   I am the alternate for Harris on the committee....
>   In general, I am willing to discuss any Fortran 8X standards issues
>   anyone wants to bring up.
>
>   Bob Allison   (305)973-5379
>   Harris Computer Systems Division

Would it be possible to post a short summary of the differences between
Fortran-77 and Fortran-8x (as presently envisioned by the standards
committee) here?
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
	   go for it!  			allegra,ulysses,vax135}!ttrdc!levy

joe@dayton.UUCP (Joseph P. Larson) (11/24/86)

In article <1348@ttrdc.UUCP> levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
>In article <129@hcx1.UUCP>, notes@hcx1.UUCP writes:
>>   I am the alternate for Harris on the committee....
>committee) here?
>--
> -------------------------------    Disclaimer:  The views contained herein are

A summary might be possible.  A short summary is *NOT*.  Maybe I shouldn't
assume too much (I no longer have frequent discussions with Sperry's
committee members).  But the 8X extensions include an entire set of
vector operations and such.  Sperry's compiler has (roughly) 30 more
intrinsic operations to support this.  They include vector summations,
products, dot products, etc, as well as various means of extracting
parts of a matrix such as the diagonal, etc.  Also, unless this has
changed (which I hope it has!), variables are no longer static unless
you do something to make them so (the compiler may have a switch).  This
could be Sperry-specific, but I got the impression this was not the case.

In any case, some F77 code I tried to run didn't always execute with
the 8X compiler until I made some minor mods.

Ah well.  Anyone want to provide a real summary?

--
UUCP: ihnp4!rosevax!dayton!joe          Joe Larson
ATT : (612) 375-3537                    Dayton Hudson Department Store Company