[comp.lang.fortran] system calls from fortran

alonso@ucsfcgl.UUCP (01/25/87)

  Running under BSD4.3 using f77 is there a standard way to
make system calls. In pseudo code an example of what I want
to do is the following:

      if (some condition)
          !system call!	rm some.file
          option to return to program
      end if

That would be one example. Another would be:

       !system call! ls > temp
       open(1,file='tmp')
       read(1,a70)line1
             .
             .

          Reply to the net is fine. Thanks in advance,

           Darwin Alonso Univ. Calif. San Francisco

tps@sdchem.UUCP (01/25/87)

In article <10029@cgl.ucsf.edu.ucsfcgl.UUCP> alonso@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Darwin Alonso%Dill) writes:
>  Running under BSD4.3 using f77 is there a standard way to
>make system calls.
>... [e.g.]         !system call!	rm some.file

Easy.  Look up "system" in section 3F of the manual
(or incant "man 3f system").

If you're using f77, you should read this whole section.
Many C library routines are bundled up for use by
fortran programs.