[comp.lang.fortran] 4.3BSD f77: any way to handle "DEC Extensions"?

jwp@uwmacc.UUCP (03/26/87)

I inherited a fortran program from a VAX/VMS environment,
and it relies on "extensions" to fortran supported by
the VMS fortran compiler.  Things like allowing DATA statements
to be intermingled with other declaration statements.
I am running 4.3BSD on a MicroVAX II.  Needless to say,
the program doesn't compile using f77.

It is too big to attempt to smoothe out the irregularities.
Do I have any alternatives?

We have an Ultrix 32m v1.2 system too, but DEC went with the
ANSI f77 in that environment, oddly enough, ensuring a lack
of portability between their products.
--
	Jeff Percival ...!uwvax!uwmacc!sal70!jwp or ...!uwmacc!jwp

pavlov@hscfvax.UUCP (03/26/87)

In article <1291@uwmacc.UUCP>, jwp@uwmacc.UUCP (Jeffrey W Percival) writes:
> I inherited a fortran program from a VAX/VMS environment,
> and it relies on "extensions" to fortran supported by
> the VMS fortran compiler.....
> It is too big to attempt to smoothe out the irregularities.
> Do I have any alternatives?
> We have an Ultrix 32m v1.2 system too, but DEC went with the
> ANSI f77 in that environment, oddly enough, ensuring a lack
> of portability between their products.
> --
  As other people will tell you, DEC has ported VMS Fortran to Ultrix; calls
  it "VAX Fortran" (since VMS is the only "real" VAX environment, I suppose..).
  You have to order/pay for it separately.  Be forwarned though: it isn't
  entirely compatible either.

       greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

cetron@utah-cs.UUCP (03/26/87)

	Try using DEC's port of VAX FORTRAN to ultrix....the front-end
is identical to the vms front-end, just a different back-end....And I here
it is a LOT faster then f77.....

	but is does cost extra :-)

-ed