[comp.lang.fortran] Microsoft Fortran 4.0 bugs

druid@inuxf.UUCP (Larry Marcus) (07/02/87)

PC WEEK magazine for June 30 carried an article on page 4 about
the "bug-infested version 4.0" [sic] of Microsoft Fortran for
the PC.  The article says there are supposed to be "134 known
bugs" [sic] in release 4.0 and that 4.01 will be shipped
in 30 days, fixing 123 of the bugs.  What types of problems
have people been experiencing?  I called Microsoft and they
said that a mailing spelling out the update policy would
go out to registered 4.0 owners about the end of July.
I assume the update will be free (<-- big assumption).

				Larry Marcus
				AT&T Consumer Products
				Indianapolis

garrett@udel.EDU (Joel Garrett) (07/02/87)

We have been using the MS 4.0 compiler for development work here at
the Center for Composite Materials for a little over two months.  Most
of the problems we've had were with the compiler itself (ie the FL command
and not the code it produces).  The compiler seems to be very intolerant of
memory-resident software, which can be a real drag when you've gotten used
to using things like Chris Dunford's CED (command-line editor) and Arbor-
Soft's SEARCH (PATH-type command for non exe files).  We've also had a few
problems with being able to read and write binary files.  The binary files
read/write ok, but the machine hangs when a stop statement is executed.

There are also some 'annoyances' that I've run into while using the Codeview
debugger with the compiler (besides lack of speed in compiling/linking :-).
The real problem is that if you have something like a divide by zero or
something like that in your program, the fortran runtime library will trap
the error and halt execution, which wipes out the ability to check variables
and do a traceback check.  All you see on the screen is a message to the effect
that execution terminated NORMALLY (!)

4.0 is a big improvement for us over 3.3 since we can now port more of our
stuff from the VAX, but these little annoyances all add up to almost be a
real bother.

					Joel Garrett
					Research Associate
					Center for Composite Materials
					University of Delaware
					(garrett@louie.udel.edu)

singer@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Matthew R. Singer) (07/02/87)

In article <309@louie.udel.EDU>, garrett@udel.EDU (Joel Garrett) writes:

> .
> .
> .
> 4.0 is a big improvement for us over 3.3 since we can now port more of our
> stuff from the VAX, but these little annoyances all add up to almost be a
> real bother.
>
> 					Joel Garrett
> 					Research Associate
> 					Center for Composite Materials
> 					University of Delaware
> 					(garrett@louie.udel.edu)

In a recent article in PC week, mention was made that MS was aware
of something on the order of 130 bugs in MS Fortran 4.0.  They claim
to have fixed 120 (or so) of them.  This will be shipped as 4.1 in
about 30-60 days.

You would think they fix all the ones they knew about...

M. Singer