[comp.lang.fortran] Recommended IBM PC Fortran compilers

hsg@duke.cs.duke.edu (Henry Greenside) (07/03/87)

Recent postings suggest that Microsoft 4.0 is to be avoided. Can anyone
suggest alternative FOrtran compilers that can be used on a AT-compatible
machine? Especially desired would be integrated Fortran environments
(integrated compiler/editor/debugger) of the sort that now exists in
the Macintosh world (the Macintosh Microsoft F77 compiler is very
impressive). If there is interest, I will summarize replies to this net.

neighorn@qiclab.UUCP (Steven C. Neighorn) (07/07/87)

In article <9867@duke.cs.duke.edu> hsg@duke.cs.duke.edu (Henry Greenside) writes:
>Recent postings suggest that Microsoft 4.0 is to be avoided. Can anyone
>suggest alternative FOrtran compilers that can be used on a AT-compatible
>machine? Especially desired would be integrated Fortran environments
>(integrated compiler/editor/debugger) of the sort that now exists in
>the Macintosh world (the Macintosh Microsoft F77 compiler is very
>impressive). If there is interest, I will summarize replies to this net.

I highly recommend Lahey Computer Systems F77L compiler. We have been using
it at the school district for over a year, and have been able to port
several Honeywell (please, keep the laughter down to a minimum) FORTRAN
programs to the PC/AT.

Lahey has complete 8087/80287 support, several command line options such as
protection of constants, bounds checking, free/standard format source file
input, interface checks, saving of local variables and arrays, and SOLD (
Source On-Line Debugger) information generation.

SOLD allows showing active program units, setting break points, showing
trace information in ranges or between breakpoints, change a variable value,
display break and trace table information, change break and trace
information, input a value into a variable, list a range of source lines,
and print the contents of a array or variable in the current program unit.

The Lahey manual contains information on how to interface to Microsoft
FORTRAN, Assembler, C, and HALO graphics routines. A special package can
also be purchased that adds windows capabilities to FORTRAN. Another package
contains a MSDOS toolbox for interacting with everyone's favorite operating
system :-).

Lahey includes a special compiler patch file that allows small changes to
the compiler without sending out thousands of disks. They have been pretty
good about offering reasonable updates to their system also.

Std Disclaimer: We are satisfied customers of the product, nothing more,
		nothing less.
--
Steven C. Neighorn                tektronix!{psu-cs,reed}!qiclab!neighorn
Portland Public Schools      "Where we train young Star Fighters to defend the

druid@inuxf.UUCP (07/07/87)

> Recent postings suggest that Microsoft 4.0 is to be avoided. Can anyone
> suggest alternative FOrtran compilers that can be used on a AT-compatible
> machine? Especially desired would be integrated Fortran environments
> (integrated compiler/editor/debugger) of the sort that now exists in
> the Macintosh world (the Macintosh Microsoft F77 compiler is very
> impressive). If there is interest, I will summarize replies to this net.

I wouldn't say that MS Fortran is to be avoided.  I expect that if
version 4.01 with the bug fixes is sent to us owners of 4.00 without
charge as good customer relations dictates, then MS-Fortran would
be recommendable.

					Larry Marcus
					..!inuxf!druid