[comp.lang.fortran] FORTRAN tools, macro processor, pretty printer, ...

lamson@sierra.steinmetz (Lamson) (07/27/87)

and pretty printers, I wanted to share our experience with TOOLPACK.
TOOLPACK is an integrated set of tools to support FORTRAN mathematical
software development.  It is public domain software developed at
the U of Colorado, Argonne National Labs, JPL, Bell Labs, Purdue,
Numerical Algorithms Group, and other sites.  It includes a macro
processor, pretty printer, and much more powerful tools to transform
standard FORTRAN source code.  The tools run on top of a portability
base (TIE), which we have for VAX/VMS and UNIX although others are
available.
There are lots of other tools, for example one which compares two
files and checks that all the numerical data is the same within some
user defined precision.  Other tools provide global inter-procedural
analysis (argument checking...) or coverage analysis.

TOOLPACK understands standard FORTRAN; code with lots of vendor specific
extensions may be difficult to get TOOLPACK to accept, which prevents
you from using the many of the tools.  When you are able to get your
program into TOOLPACK, you get MUCH more readable code out.  A real
life-saver for "dusty-deck" fortran.  We are very excited about it here.
In fact, we have started work on a tool to replace subroutine/function
calls with in-line code from the called module.

For distribution, contact Integrated Systems Technologies at (312)869-
7820 or the Numerical Algorithms Group (usa 312-971-2337 or uk oxford
(0865)511245 international +44865 511245).

also see references IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering SE-9
                       #6 Nov 83 P 673.  L.J. Osterweil
TOOLPACK Funding was provided by the NSF, DOE, and
                      UK Research & Engineering Council.
        Scott|  ARPA:      lamson@ge-crd.arpa
       Lamson|  UUCP:      lamson@sierra.steinmetz.ge.com
(518)387-5795|  GE DECnet: qtmvax::lamson

john@uw-nsr.UUCP (John Sambrook) (07/28/87)

In article <6812@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> lamson@sierra.steinmetz () writes:

[ Description of TOOLPACK, noting that it is a public-domain package. ]

>For distribution, contact Integrated Systems Technologies at (312)869-
>7820 or the Numerical Algorithms Group (usa 312-971-2337 or uk oxford
>(0865)511245 international +44865 511245).

Can TOOLPACK be obtained without going through these channels, say, by
FTP?

Please understand that I don't have any axes to grind with either of these
companies.  Our computer system is rather unique and neither of these
companies has an "off the shelf" version for us.

John Sambrook                        Internet: john@nsr.acs.washington.edu
University of Washington WD-12           UUCP: uw-nsr!john
Seattle, Washington  98195               Dial: (206) 548-4386