[comp.lang.fortran] standards question

chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) (10/29/87)

Does the ANSI F77 standard have anything to say about the what the
following program prints, or is it left up to the implementation?
(Note:  I don't care what your machine actually does.)

      i1=0
      call add2(i1,i1)
      print*,i1
      end
      subroutine add2(i1,i2)
      i1=i1+1
      i2=i2+1
      return
      end

Thanks!
--
-Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.-

Charles Cleveland    Georgia Tech School of Physics    Atlanta, GA 30332
UUCP: ...!gatech!gtss!chas         INTERNET:  chas@ss.physics.gatech.edu

firth@sei.cmu.edu.UUCP (10/30/87)

In article <141@gtss.UUCP> chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) writes:
>Does the ANSI F77 standard have anything to say about the what the
>following program prints, or is it left up to the implementation?
>(Note:  I don't care what your machine actually does.)

      i1=0
      call add2(i1,i1)
      print*,i1
      end
      subroutine add2(i1,i2)
      i1=i1+1
      i2=i2+1
      return
      end

Yes it does.  The program is not a standard-conforming program, and
so its effect, if any, is undefined.  [ANSI X3.9-1978 15.9.3.6]