[comp.lang.fortran] Object-oriented DATA statement in FORTRAN 8X

Mark_Israel@alberta.UUCP (Mark Israel) (01/25/88)

Could someone please explain for me the purpose of the
"object-oriented" DATA statement in the FORTRAN 8X draft standard?
(It's described in section 5.2.6.2 .)  What can it do that the
list-oriented DATA statement couldn't have been extended to do?
			       Mark Israel

Bitnet:  USERISRA@UALTAMTS
Usenet:  ihnp4!alberta!uqv-mts!Mark_Israel

terry@terminus.UUCP (terry) (02/05/88)

In article <1041@pembina.UUCP>, uqv-mts!Mark_Israel@alberta.UUCP (Mark Israel) writes:
> Could someone please explain for me the purpose of the
> "object-oriented" DATA statement in the FORTRAN 8X draft standard?
> (It's described in section 5.2.6.2 .)  What can it do that the
> list-oriented DATA statement couldn't have been extended to do?

Require that perfectly good code be rewritten... (*,-)

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...!decvax!utah-cs!century!terry              |
| @ Century Software       or : ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!terminus!terry |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
|                   These opinions are not my companies, but if you find them |
|                   useful, send a $20.00 donation to Brisbane Australia...   |
| 'There are monkey boys in the facility.  Do not be alarmed; you are secure' |