[comp.lang.fortran] Translator from VMS FORTRAN to BSD f77 or ANSI 77

mkraiesk@midas.UUCP (Mark Kraieski) (02/05/88)

WANTED: VMS FORTRAN translator to BSD f77 or ANSI 77 FORTRAN

Let's have the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Who sells them?
What do they run on?
How complete are they (what major VMS 'enhancements' are missed)?
Who uses them?
How well do they work.

All are eligible to reply, vendors, users, those who read about one,
those who heard from a friend, and those who have no answer but would
like one.

Mark Kraieski                        ...!novavax!midas!mkraiesk
Gould, CSD - MS #300
6901 West Sunrise Blvd.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33313-4499

(305) 797-3854                       "We know who you are, Bronze!"

chpf127@ut-emx.UUCP (J. Eaton) (02/08/88)

In article <903@midas.UUCP>, mkraiesk@midas.UUCP (Mark Kraieski) writes:

> WANTED: VMS FORTRAN translator to BSD f77 or ANSI 77 FORTRAN
>
> Let's have the good, the bad, and the ugly.

  The only one I know of (I haven't used it) was described by Richard Hessel
  and Stephen Chico (Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
  Department at Clarkson University) in Advanced Engineering Software,
  Volume 7, Number 3, p142 (1985).  It's written in Pascal, and while
  they claim it's not perfect, it's probably better than nothing.
  I'll make no claims for this product, except that it apparently exists.

  If you can't get in touch with the authors, or find the article, send
  email my way and I'll get you a copy.  It's good to see that there's
  someone else out there who wants to make his VM$ FORTRAN more portable.
  The attitude around here seems to (sadly) be "VAX FORTRAN is great, so
  why do you avoid using all those neat extensions?  Everyone has a VAX,
  don't they?"

    J. Eaton
    Department of Chemical Engineering
    The University of Texas at Austin

    Really, doesn't *everyone* have a VAX?

    Oh, BTW, Clarkson is Potsdam, NY 13676.

garry@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Garry Wiegand) (02/15/88)

In a recent article chpf127@ut-emx.UUCP (J. Eaton) wrote:
>In article <903@midas.UUCP>, mkraiesk@midas.UUCP (Mark Kraieski) writes:
>>
>> WANTED: VMS FORTRAN translator to BSD f77 or ANSI 77 FORTRAN
>>
>  The only one I know of (I haven't used it) was described by Richard Hessel

Sun has a chocolate-to-vanilla translator too, available on their machines.
I haven't used it, I don't know how good it is (does it move all Common data
specs to a BLOCK DATA??), but it's cheap - something like $200.

garry wiegand   (garry@oak.cadif.cornell.edu - ARPA)
		(garry@crnlthry - BITNET)

macphed@sask.UUCP (Ian MacPhedran) (02/17/88)

> WANTED: VMS FORTRAN translator to BSD f77 or ANSI 77 FORTRAN
>
> Let's have the good, the bad, and the ugly.
>
> Who sells them?
> What do they run on?
> How complete are they (what major VMS 'enhancements' are missed)?
> Who uses them?
> How well do they work.
>
> Mark Kraieski                        ...!novavax!midas!mkraiesk

In the Digital Review of 25 Jnauary, 1988, an article on page 31
describes a product called VM77 by Computer Translations, which is
intended to convert VMS specific VAX FORTRAN to regular f77. The
program runs on Prime and Pyramid computers. A system lisence
costs $3500.00.

Computer Translations
2235 W. Potter
Phoenix, Arizona 85027
(U.S.A.)
(602) 582-9515

(I have no affiliation or knowledge of this product or company other
than this article.)

Ian.

| Ian MacPhedran                     | USEnet ihnp4!sask!macphed      |
| Engineering Applications           | BITNET MacPhedran@Sask         |
| Department of Computing Services   | Phone  (306) 966-4832          |
| 2B13 Engineering Bldg.             | Telex  064-2659                |
| University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada S7N 0W0 |