[comp.lang.fortran] Fortran 8x spelling.

jlg@a.UUCP (Jim Giles) (03/05/88)

In article <1067@ut-emx.UUCP>, reeder@ut-emx.UUCP (William P. Reeder) writes:
> First, 'PASCAL' isn't spelled 'Pascal', 'ALGOL' isn't spelled 'Algol',
> 'C' isn't spelled 'C' (oops, experimental error :-), and 'FORTRAN'
> shouldn't be spelled 'Fortran'.  ANSI tried (on page I, lines 22-23) to
> redefine the spelling of FORTRAN, but I reject this just as I reject S8
> as a new standard.

Maybe YOU don't spell them that way, but the ISO has a rule on the consistent
spelling of programming language names, and all the spellings that you claim
are wrong are, in fact, the correct spellings.

J. Giles
Los Alamos

jay@splut.UUCP (Jay Maynard) (03/11/88)

From article <503@a.UUCP>, by jlg@a.UUCP (Jim Giles):
> In article <1067@ut-emx.UUCP>, reeder@ut-emx.UUCP (William P. Reeder) writes:
>> First, 'PASCAL' isn't spelled 'Pascal', 'ALGOL' isn't spelled 'Algol',
>> 'C' isn't spelled 'C' (oops, experimental error :-), and 'FORTRAN'
>> shouldn't be spelled 'Fortran'...
>
> Maybe YOU don't spell them that way, but the ISO has a rule on the consistent
> spelling of programming language names, and all the spellings that you claim
> are wrong are, in fact, the correct spellings.

Just to continue this silly discussion one more message...

I thought the reason it was FORTRAN, ALGOL, COBOL, BASIC, APL,... was
because they are acronyms, while Pascal was named for a real person.

Or is this too logical??

PLEASE don't followup! If you MUST correct me :-), then please do it by
E-mail.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled "F8X isn't FORTRAN" flames...

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC...>splut!< | GEnie: JAYMAYNARD  CI$: 71036,1603
uucp: {uunet!nuchat,academ!uhnix1,{ihnp4,bellcore,killer}!tness1}!splut!jay