[comp.lang.fortran] IEEE to Cray and back

brian@radio.toronto.edu (Brian Glendenning) (04/19/88)

Does anyone have any code to deal with ieee to cray (XMP) floating point
numbers and back?  We have an application that runs under several OS's, that
can use ieee to most efficiently interchange data (ascii being the
alternative).  Source code would be preferred since we have to trap NaN's and
deal with them separately. Thanks.

--
Brian Glendenning                INTERNET - brian@radio.astro.toronto.edu
Radio Astronomy, U. Toronto          UUCP - {uunet,pyramid}!utai!radio!brian

jlg@a.UUCP (Jim Giles) (04/21/88)

In article <1084@radio.toronto.edu>, brian@radio.toronto.edu (Brian Glendenning) writes:

> Does anyone have any code to deal with ieee to cray (XMP) floating point
> numbers and back?  We have an application that runs under several OS's, that
> can use ieee to most efficiently interchange data (ascii being the
> alternative).  Source code would be preferred since we have to trap NaN's and
> deal with them separately. Thanks.

I'd like to see this too (otherwise I have to write it myself).  Please
note however, the exponent range on the Cray is larger than IEEE double
while the precision of IEEE double is greater than the Cray precision.
You loose something either way.

J. Giles
Los Alamos