[comp.lang.fortran] Fortran I/O Limit on Mips Machine

kokody2@hammer.me.toronto.edu () (05/27/88)

I am using the Mips Microsystems f77 fortran compiler running on a
MIPS M1000 computer running UMIPS-BSD UNIX. I have run into difficulty
installing a finite element package due to a compiler quirk that
allows one have a maximum of 17 files at any one time. Documentation
for the fortran is unfortunately quite sparse and incomplete. Is it
possible to open more files by setting up some unmentioned flag
or reconfiguring the fortran compiler? This same package works
fine on our SUN 3/180's which appear to allow us to open 24 files
at any one time. To re-write the package would be a slight major
inconvenience considering the source code is slighlty over 3 Mbytes
in size. Any help/pointers would be appreciated.

By the way, the run-time error message given is:

	open: illegal unit number

The program compiles with no errors using the 2nd level of Optimization.

Thank you,

		Gerry Kokodyniak

Gerry Kokodyniak, Ph.D. Student, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, U. of Toronto
Structural Integrity Fatigue and Fracture Research Laboratory (416) 978-6853
USENET: kokody2@hammer.me.utoronto.edu    BITNET: kokody2@ME.UTORONTO
UUCP: {linus,ihpn4,allegra,decvax,floyd}!utcsri!me!kokody2

jerry@violet.berkeley.edu ( Jerry Berkman ) (06/01/88)

In article <14066.1988May27.12:41:49@hammer.me.toronto.edu> kokody2@hammer.me.toronto.edu (Gerry Kokodyniak) writes:

>I am using the Mips Microsystems f77 fortran compiler running on a
>MIPS M1000 computer running UMIPS-BSD UNIX. I have run into difficulty
>installing a finite element package due to a compiler quirk that
>allows one have a maximum of 17 files at any one time...This same package
>works fine on our SUN 3/180's which appear to allow us to open 24 files
>at any one time.
>
>By the way, the run-time error message given is:
>
>	open: illegal unit number

Generally the number of files which are allowed to be open simultaneously
depends on the operating system, not the Fortran compiler.  On our BSD
VAX systems, you can open 61 files in addition to standard input, output,
and error, and then get:

	fort.71: [119] opening too many files or unknown system error

On a Sun, you can open 27 files, and then get "Too many open files".
On our Cray UNICOS system, after 56 files: "unit not connected".
On our IBM, with VS FORTRAN under CMS, I opened 90 files with no problem.

I believe before the BSD f77 libraries were cleaned up (about 1985), the
error message was very obscure.  Maybe Mips is using an old base for their
f77 libraries.

	- Jerry Berkman
	  U.C. Berkeley, jerry@violet.berkeley.edu