[comp.lang.fortran] Fastest Fortran Engine?

lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster) (06/27/88)

In article <7568@boring.cwi.nl> dik@cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter) writes:
>Further: NEC SX (not IBM compatible) 128 or 256, depending on model,
>with vector registers, like the Cray.  This is the fastest supercomputer
>in the world.

According to the latest linpack benchmark, the Cray Y-MP, ETA-10E, and
Cray X-MP with the latest compiler (CFT77 2.1) are, generally, faster
single processors than the NEC SX-2, although the SX-2 wins the single
processor matrix vector contest (anyone know why - I don't know
the SX-2 architecture)

--
  Hugh LaMaster, m/s 233-9,  UUCP ames!lamaster
  NASA Ames Research Center  ARPA lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov

rchrd@well.UUCP (Richard Friedman) (06/28/88)

One reason why the NEC SX-2 does so well on matrix operations is that their
compiler is one of the best!.  See "Vectorizing Compilers: A Test Suite and
Results" from Argonne (Tech Memo #109, March 31, 1988) from Dongarra,
Callahan and Levine.  It gives the results of running a large (100+) suite
of routines thru a number of vectorizing compilers.  Altho execution times
are not given, (that WOULD be interesting!), they were only rating these
compilers on their ability to vectorize/optimize source code.

On a composite scale, the NEC compiler vectorize 59 out of 100 loops while
CFT 1.15 did 51% and CFT77 did 52%.  I should mention that the Alliant
compiler did 71%  and so did the Amdahl FORTRAN 77/VP.  The FTN77 compiler on
the ETA-10 did 69%.

The point is that the NEC SX-2 runs faster than the X-MP in vector mode
(clock is 6ns) so the more code you get into vector mode the better you
are.  I suppose that more loops in the LINPACK test were vectorized by
the NEC compiler than the Cray.  But thats just a guess.
The SX-2 is a significant machine.
--
...Richard Friedman [rchrd]
uucp:  {ucbvax,lll-lcc,ptsfa,hplabs}!well!rchrd