[comp.lang.fortran] graphics pkg advice, also 8x standards

gbn474@leah.Albany.Edu (Gregory Newby) (07/20/88)

Hi Ho.  A few basic questions, which do *not* have to do with the
relative utility of C versus Fortran.

Two topics:  (1) fortran for pcs
             (2) 8x standards etc.

1) I'm picking up an ibm-type pc, and am wondering what kind of advice
y'all can offer for a fortran compiler with graphics capabilities (or,
more likely,
               a) a compiler; and
               b) a library of fortran
                  callable graphics
                  subroutines.

It's really the graphics i'm interested in, tho some compiler reviews
would be interesting.  For the heavy memory and i/o operations, there's
allways the mainframe.

2)  I've been hearing about the new 8x standard fortran.  Who
knows/where can I find information about just what this will mean for
the common programmer??

   -- what kind of new features or standards
   -- what sort of timetable is there for release (*is* there a
      timetable??)

*****
I'll summarize for the group, if there's a variety of reviews or responses.

Thanks...

-newbs  [
         gbn474@leah.albany.edu
         gbn474@rachel.albany.edu
         gbn474@albany1vx.bitnet
        ]

don@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Don Gourley) (07/20/88)

/ hpfcdc:comp.lang.fortran / gbn474@leah.Albany.Edu (Gregory Newby) / writes:

> 2)  I've been hearing about the new 8x standard fortran.  Who
> knows/where can I find information about just what this will mean for
> the common programmer??

Try "Fortran 8x Explained" by Metcalf & Reid (Carendon Press, Oxford, 1987).

--gourley