[comp.lang.fortran] Deprecated features in Fortran 77 ?????

jlg@beta.lanl.gov (Jim Giles) (08/17/88)

In article <72@cubsun.BIO.COLUMBIA.EDU>, shenkin@cubsun.BIO.COLUMBIA.EDU (Peter Shenkin) writes:
> Doug McDonald (mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu) writes:
> >    One severe problem with the Fortran 8x proplsal is that it implies
> >that Fortran 9x will cause something like 90% of all present programs
> >to stop working. That's right, a very large majority might die.
>
> Well, I'm not an 8x fan, but in fairness, the same criticism could be
> leveled at fortran 77, which also listed a number of deprecated features
> which "should/could" disappear in the 8x version.  [...

This is not true.  The Fortran 77 standard contains no deprecated
features and no discussion on future directions that the language
may take.  The Fortran 77 document is a description of the language
as it is - and nothing more.

> ...]                                               I don't have the
> standard here, but one of the features which was supposed to disappear was
> signifying a comment by a C in the first column.  The "right" way to do
> this under the 77 standard is to use an asterisk in the first column.

This is the _entire_ description of comment lines in the Fortran 77
document:

    2.3 Statements, Comments, and Lines.
    [...]
    There is also a line called a _comment_line_  (3.2.1),  which
    is  not  part  of  any  statement  and is intended to provide
    documentation.

    [...]

    3.2.1  Comment  Line.  A  _comment_line_  is  any  line  that
    contains  a  C  or  an asterisk in column 1, or contains only
    blank characters in columns 1  through  72.  A  comment  line
    that  contains a C or an asterisk in column 1 may contain any
    character capable  of  representation  in  the  processor  in
    columns 2 through 72.

    A comment line does not affect the executable program in  any
    way and may be used to provide documentation.

    Comment lines  may  appear  anywhere  in  the  program  unit.
    Comment  lines  may  precede  the  initial  line of the first
    statement of any  program  unit.  Comment  lines  may  appear
    between  an  initial  line and its first continuation line or
    between two consecutive continuation lines.

    [...]

    Appendix B3
    [...]
    When  a  continuation  line  follows  a  comment  line,   the
    continuation line is part of the current statement; it is not
    a continuation of the comment line.  A comment  line  is  not
    part of a statement.

    The standard does not  restrict  the  number  of  consecutive
    comment  lines.  The limit of 19 continuation lines permitted
    for a statement should not be construed as being a limitation
    on the number of consecutive comment lines.

I can see why nobody took the deprecation of 'C' in comment lines
very seriously - it wasn't ever mentioned!

J. Giles
Los Alamos