[comp.lang.fortran] Brain fade on pointers

fouts@lemming.nas.nasa.gov.nas.nasa.gov (Marty Fouts) (09/16/88)

In article <3658@lanl.gov> jlg@lanl.gov (Jim Giles) writes:
>From article <998@amelia.nas.nasa.gov>, by fouts@lemming.nas.nasa.gov.nas.nasa.gov (Marty Fouts):
>> No it doesn't.  The Civic compiler under CTSS supports a fairly
>> hackneyed dynamic/memory pointer construct.  CFT (at least through CFT
>> 1.15) and CFT77 -- which are "Cray Fortran" -- don't.
>
>I have the manual right here on my desk!  I don't know where you got
>your information, but mine comes right from the documentation.  (Not
>to mention the fact that I use pointers _all_ the time, so I know
>there has been no change.)

Oddly enough, I have the manual on my desk too, and have also been
using CFT for more years than I'm willing to admit.  I can't actually
explain my brain fade, but this time Giles is completely right. Both
CFT and CFT77 support the same pointer as CIVIC.

Sorry for the confusion.

Marty

+-+-+-+     I don't know who I am, why should you?     +-+-+-+
   |        fouts@lemming.nas.nasa.gov                    |
   |        ...!ames!orville!fouts                        |
   |        Never attribute to malice what can be         |
+-+-+-+     explained by incompetence.                 +-+-+-+