[comp.lang.fortran] WG-5 ultimatum, is a FIPS standard uninteresting?

bobal@microsoft.UUCP (Bob Allison) (10/05/88)

Bill Leonard gives an impassioned argument on why X3J3 should ignore
WG-5's ultimatums.

Bill then argues that there is really only interest in the
ANSI Fortran standard, partially since it is what typically becomes
the FIPS standard.

But then Bill makes a parenthetical comment which I found thought-provoking.
It is interesting to me that Bill makes the comment that since the DoD
has finally begun to get serious about Ada recently, interest in a new
Fortran FIPS standard will diminish.

I don't have the contacts with people who do significant government business.
I know that there are people on the net who do: do you agree with this
assertion?  Don't just fly off the handle, I am asking a serious question:
do we expect new contracts with the U.S. Government to require a FIPS
Fortran compiler less and less often (and consequently an Ada standard
more often)?  Under what time scale?  Is it already happening?  Are people
being forced to bid a project assuming the project will be done in Ada?
I am not crossposting to comp.lang.ada because I am interested in people
who would normally use Fortran who might be forced to use Ada.

Bill very correctly points out that economics drives (or kills) the
development of a compiler for most vendors, and most have significant
interest in government business.  Can we expect Fortran to continue
its widespread availability if a new standard comes out (eliminating the
Fortran 77 standard) and the government doesn't use it very much?

Bob Allison

meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) (10/05/88)

In article <140@microsoft.UUCP>, bobal@microsoft.UUCP (Bob Allison) writes:
> do we expect new contracts with the U.S. Government to require a FIPS
> Fortran compiler less and less often (and consequently an Ada standard
> more often)?  Under what time scale?  Is it already happening?  Are people
> being forced to bid a project assuming the project will be done in Ada?
> I am not crossposting to comp.lang.ada because I am interested in people
> who would normally use Fortran who might be forced to use Ada.

Well, as far as FHWA & FDOT are concerned (not to mention the state
& local versions), it's only in the last few years that they were willing
to consider anything besides FORTRAN. Even 77 & things like Flecs only
REALLY came much into use after 81 or 82. Assembly language was also still
common then, & still is for on-street micros & such. JHK (whose systems
practice is in Atlanta) was 1 of the consultants who pushed for structured
FORTRAN (77, etc) and then for C. But still, 1/2 of their development
contracts specify FORTRAN, and I have heard nothing of Ada there.
Miles O'Neal                                 decvax!gatech!stiatl!meo

fred@smoke.ARPA (Fred Bunn ) (10/05/88)

Here at the Army's Ballistic Research Lab we have many mid-sized computers
and a couple of super-computers. To my knowledge none of these has an ADA
compiler. Apparently DOD is mandating ADA for imbedded computers (those
in weapon systems) but for scientific and technical work, there seem to
be little or no push towards ADA. Ditto for accounting/business type
applications.

lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster) (10/05/88)

In article <140@microsoft.UUCP> bobal@microsoft.UUCP (Bob Allison (uunet!microsoft!bobal)) writes:

>do we expect new contracts with the U.S. Government to require a FIPS
>Fortran compiler less and less often (and consequently an Ada standard
>more often)?  Under what time scale?  Is it already happening?  Are people

I expect that for procurements of embedded systems, and some realtime
systems used primarily for data acquisition and/or control, Fortran may indeed
be on the way out.  For procurements of machines used for numerical
analysis, or data reduction, Fortran will continue to be required.

--
  Hugh LaMaster, m/s 233-9,  UUCP ames!lamaster
  NASA Ames Research Center  ARPA lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov

lamson@sierra.uucp (scott h lamson) (10/06/88)

> : bobal@microsoft.UUCP (Bob Allison) writes:

>Can we expect Fortran to continue
>its widespread availability if a new standard comes out (eliminating the
>Fortran 77 standard) and the government doesn't use it very much?

While ADA will increase in importance for delivered software, there
is too much research and engineering work supported by Fortran
analytic codes to make Fortran no longer needed.  Even for govt funded
development, where analysis is required to support engineering
(CFD to design turbine blades, etc) there is nothing I have heard of
to suggest ADA will be required or even encouraged to use in CAE
codes.  I see Fortran having a respectable market regardless of ADA or
FIPS.

        Scott|  ARPA:      lamson@ge-crd.arpa
       Lamson|  UUCP:      uunet!steinmetz!sierra!lamson
(518)387-5795|  UUCP:      uunet!steinmetz!lamson!crd