[net.movies] enquiry about GONE WITH THE WIND

koo@cornell.UUCP (Richard Koo) (03/27/85)

	Can anyone confirm or deny that GONE WITH THE WIND was originally a
	black and white film?  Thanks.

				Richard Koo (koo@Cornell.ARPA)

freeman@yale.ARPA (Ace) (04/01/85)

    GWTW was not originally filmed in black and white but it was
    one of the first motion pictures made in color, so at the
    time of its release most pictures were still in B&W.  There
    was some experimentation with filming in black and white
    and then manually coloring the frames. This process generally
    resulted in color that looked very artificial to say the least.
    What probably brought the question to mind was the rumor (untrue)
    that GWTW was one of these colored B&W's

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (04/04/85)

In article <1315@yale.ARPA> freeman@yale-comix.UUCP (Ace) writes:
>    GWTW was not originally filmed in black and white but it was
>    one of the first motion pictures made in color, so at the
>    time of its release most pictures were still in B&W.

Whether or not GWTW was one of the "first" color films depends on how loosely
you define "first".  Since "Becky Sharpe" in 1935 (5 years before GWTW),
three strip Techicolor had been in use.  Two strip Technicolor had been in
use even longer.  Lon Chaney's "Phantom of the Opera" (1926) had a short
Technicolor sequence, and an Anna Mae Wong movie in the early twenties is
reputed to be the first Technicolor feature.  Generally, the larger studios
produced only two or three films per year in Technicolor, since both filming and
striking prints were very expensive in this process.

>						...There
>    was some experimentation with filming in black and white
>    and then manually coloring the frames. This process generally
>    resulted in color that looked very artificial to say the least.

I've seen some very early (1910s-1920s) experiments in color.  None
were really satisfactory, but some of them were fairly good looking.  Manual
coloring was rarely done, but silent films were frequently hand-tinted, which
is a little different: each frame is completely tinted with one color, so that
it is, for instance, black and red instead of black and white.  In some cases,
it's moderately more effective than black and white, but I've never really
cared for it myself.
--
        			Peter Reiher
        			reiher@ucla-cs.arpa

leeper@ahutb.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (04/10/85)

A good (well, common anyway) example of a silent film that had scenes
that were hand colored is the famous silent THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY.
Smoke from explosions or a woman's dress would be selectively chosen
and hand painted in each frame.

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!ahutb!leeper

rjn@hpfcmp.UUCP (rjn) (04/19/85)

re: Gone with the Wind photography

GWTW was filmed in three-strip  Technicolor.  The camera (now on display at
the Smithsonian) is basically three B&W cameras with beamsplitter and color
filters, all in a VERY large box.

Regards,                                             Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland                                           3404 East Harmony Road
hplabs!hpfcla!rjn                                    Fort Collins CO  80525

davew@shark.UUCP (Dave Williams) (04/25/85)

In article <19000003@hpfcmp.UUCP> rjn@hpfcmp.UUCP (rjn) writes:
>re: Gone with the Wind photography
>
>GWTW was filmed in three-strip  Technicolor.  The camera (now on display at
>the Smithsonian) is basically three B&W cameras with beamsplitter and color
>filters, all in a VERY large box.

The cameras were built by Mitchell Camera Co. for Technicolor. These
cameras were referred to as Rolls-Royces by the industry because of
their cost and size. They had to add a heavy sound deadening box, called
a blimp, over the mechanism to quiet the noise to keep it from being picked
up by the microphones on the set.
When sound pictures were first made the entire camera and
operator were put in a telephone booth like enclosure with a double
glass port for the lens to keep the camera noise down.

--

                                    Dave Williams
                                    Tektronix, Inc.

    "The 6000 Family"