[comp.lang.fortran] Opinions on MS Fortran wanted

dd@beta.lanl.gov (Dan Davison) (04/27/89)

I am the unhappy owner of MicroSloth Fortrash compilers
b 1.0, 2.0. and 3.1.  I felt so ripped off that I have since
avoided purchasing ANY Microsloth product.  At the moment I
am using RM Fortran, Plink, and PD make.  I still use
MASM 2.0.  I have *really* avoided MS products as much as
possible.

It may become necessary in the near future to use MS Fortran
4.? (4.1, I think) for a project which involves calling routines
compiled in MS languages.  It appears that using MS Fortran would
make my life easier (sic).

So, my question for the net: Has MicroSloth produced a real
Fortran compiler yet?  Is it worth using?

Any and all replies welcome.  Please reply by e-mail, I will
summarize if there is interest.

Thanks very much.

dan davison/theoretical biology/t-10 ms k710/los alamos national laboratory
los alamos, nm 875545/dd@lanl.gov (arpa)/dd@lanl.uucp(new)/..cmcl2!lanl!dd
The same people who oppose abortion usually support capital punishment.
Go figure...

--

bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) (04/29/89)

In article <24257@beta.lanl.gov>, dd@beta.lanl.gov (Dan Davison) writes:
> So, my question for the net: Has MicroSloth produced a real
> Fortran compiler yet?  Is it worth using?

Microsoft Fortran 4.* is a MUCH better compiler than earlier versions.
It supports a MUCH larger language than the earlier versions of the
compiler.

It is, unfortunately, just about as slow to compile (and link) as the
earlier versions.

I might mention that MASM v4.0 and above is FAR faster than MASM 2.0.
If you do much with MASM you may want to upgrade (I find that in spite
of Microsoft claims that 5.0 is faster than 4.0, for the files that I
actually compile it's about a wash - 5.0 may compile faster but it is
bigger and takes longer to load, so any advantage it has is eliminated
before it even starts).

I have heard that the LaHay (sp?) compiler is better than the current
Microsoft offering, but the Microsoft compiler is not as miserable as
it used to be - it's almost a nice compiler, if they could just make
it run a bit faster.

						Bruce C. Wright

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) (05/02/89)

In article <2922@rti.UUCP>, bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) writes:
> In article <24257@beta.lanl.gov>, dd@beta.lanl.gov (Dan Davison) writes:
>> So, my question for the net: Has MicroSloth produced a real
>> Fortran compiler yet?  Is it worth using?
>
> I have heard that the LaHay (sp?) compiler is better than the current
> Microsoft offering, but the Microsoft compiler is not as miserable as
> it used to be - it's almost a nice compiler, if they could just make
> it run a bit faster.

Do yourself a favour and get the Lahey F77L compiler. It compiles like
lightning, and runs as fast as output from Microsoft's compiler. Lahey's
compiler is also much easier to install and use.
--
Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au@munnari.oz
Lecturer in Civil Engineering   |  phone:  +61 3 565 4983