[net.movies] key grip

tugs@utcsrgv.UUCP (Stephen Hull) (06/28/83)

A grip is a stagehand, i.e. the guy (male or female) who moves things about
on the stage or soundstage. The key grip is the head stagehand. In the credits
in English movies, you'll see a credit for "lead hand" as opposed to "key grip".
They're the same thing.
   While we're at it, I believe the best boy is the electrician's chief
assistant. And an electrician doesn't rewire the washing machine; he handles
the lighting.
   Last but not least, also in England there aren't directors (or didn't
used to be); the director is called the producer over there.
   So what's a producer called?
      steve hull
      decvax!utzoo!utcsrgv!tugs

mjc@cmu-cs-cad.ARPA (Monica Cellio) (04/22/85)

The key grip is the person responsible for making sure that props are in the
right place before each scene is shot (so small objects don't appear and
vanish when the film is edited together).

							-Dragon

--
UUCP: ...ucbvax!dual!lll-crg!dragon
ARPA: monica.cellio@cmu-cs-cad or dragon@lll-crg

wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler) (04/23/85)

Almost right.  The key grip does indeed make sure that
everything is on the set as it was after the last take.
However, it is the continuity girl (rarely mentioned
in the credits- I dated one a long time ago) who makes
sure that everything is in its proper plece.  How many
times have we seen something out of place in a scene
then back in place again during a different angle?
I always like the ones where some guy's tie is different
in a scene from different angles.  My favorite goof
though was during a big budget western when the cavalry was
attacking the indians and some guy in a blue suit with a red
tie stepped out from behind a tree in the background, took out
a camera, took a picture, and stepped behind the tree again.
Of course we have all seen the vapour trails in the sky
in the movie "The Big Sky".

Three cheers for the continuity girl.
T. C. Wheeler

killroy@mcnc.UUCP (John P Wysocki) (04/26/85)

In article <326@cmu-cs-cad.ARPA> mjc@cmu-cs-cad.ARPA (Monica Cellio) writes:
>The key grip is the person responsible for making sure that props are in the
>right place before each scene is shot (so small objects don't appear and
>vanish when the film is edited together).
>
>							-Dragon
>
>--
>UUCP: ...ucbvax!dual!lll-crg!dragon
>ARPA: monica.cellio@cmu-cs-cad or dragon@lll-crg

	Thanks for this info.Now I know who is responsible for the screw up`s
    in movies like Time Rider.In this movie(Time Rider)during the final
    fight seen the heroin(the time riders girlfriend of sorts)had an amo
    belt on when she stood up to fire her gun.But when she ducked behind the
    rock the she was no longer waring the amo belt.
	There was also a screw up in the movie Ice Pirates.In the seen
    with the talking head,who was a count(who`s nami I forget),if you look
    when he is held by his hair and is talking you can see a body(or
    part of one).
	If any of you other observant movie goers notice a movie screw up
    you are encouraged to post it.
                                   John Wysocki M.C.N.C.