[comp.lang.fortran] Request for binary conversion routines & geology graphics

bauer@loligo.cc.fsu.edu (Jeff Bauer) (06/10/89)

(Sending this request for someone else :)

Help!

   We are in need of being able to convert various binary files between
NOS 60 bit, Cyber 205(=ETA10) binary, and Sun binary . We need the
flexibility of being able to define the target words in Sun format in
either single or double. Also, the files contain a mixture of integer
and floating point numbers.

   Also, we would be interested in any geophysical application
programs, especially graphics, that would be useful for teaching in
both geophysics and geology. For example, has anyone created a neat
program that traces earthquake waves through Earth structure
graphically where you can allow different velocity layers?

Joe Cain
SCRI::CAIN
cain@scri1.scri.fsu.edu
cain@fsu.BITNET

Tim_CDC_Roberts@cup.portal.com (06/13/89)

In <762@loligo.cc.fsu.edu>, Jeff Bauer aka Joe Cain asks:

>   We are in need of being able to convert various binary files between
>NOS 60 bit, Cyber 205(=ETA10) binary, and Sun binary . We need the
>flexibility of being able to define the target words in Sun format in
>either single or double. Also, the files contain a mixture of integer
>and floating point numbers.

If you have access to NOS, the FORM utility (File Organizer and Record
Manager) is capable of almost any kind of conversion you could hope for.
Because of it's immense flexibility, it is complicated and somewhat
difficult to learn, but I believe it will perform most of your conversions
automatically.

If FORM cannot generate the Sun floating point, then the next answer is to
code up a Fortran program using the Fortran-callable 8-bit library BIT8LIB.
It contains subroutine calls similar to the FORM directives, with the
added benefit of allowing you to specify foreign-style conversions.

Good luck.

Tim_CDC_Roberts@cup.portal.com                | Control Data...
...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!tim_cdc_roberts |   ...or it will control you.

walter@cwi.nl (Walter M. Lioen) (06/14/89)

In article <762@loligo.cc.fsu.edu> bauer@loligo.cc.fsu.edu (Jeff Bauer) writes:

>   We are in need of being able to convert various binary files between
> NOS 60 bit, Cyber 205(=ETA10) binary, and Sun binary . We need the
> flexibility of being able to define the target words in Sun format in
> either single or double. Also, the files contain a mixture of integer
> and floating point numbers.

On the Cyber 205 the standard system library, SYSLIB, contains
routines for converting Cyber 170 arithmetic data formats to and
from Cyber 200 arithmetic data formats. You can find them in an
appendix called `Fortran data conversion routines' of the VSOS
manual. (e.g. Q9CLF converts Cyber 200 floating point operands to
equivalent Cyber 170 floating point operands).

This assumes binary files with only one data type and won't help you
with the suns either.

Hope this helps!