[net.movies] Baby - short review

gordonl@microsoft.UUCP (Gordon Letwin) (04/16/85)

I recently went to see the new Disney dinosaur flick, "Baby." My
friend and I don't have a lot of respect for most Disney flicks, but
we're interested in Dinosaurs and in "model animation", so we were
hoping that we'd get some enjoyment from the special effects.

Unfortunately, it was abysmal.  The dinosaurs look like wooden frames
inside oilcloth (which they undoubtedly were), their behavior was
"Disney animal" behavior, and the plot of the movie was enough to gag
a horse.  We walked out after about 30 minutes.

I think the word "Disney" - all the negative things that conjures up -
would suffice for a "pico-review".  Picture the bad guys - really bad,
they kick puppys for fun.  The side-kick bad guy is a fruit, of course
- moral depravity knows no bounds.  The "last straw" for us was
watching the bad guys shoot down a dinosaur - one of the "mom, pop,
and baby" super-cutsie family grouping.  In its death throes the dying
and surviving dinosaur go through a heart-rending (or is it "puke-
rending") scene involving batting eyelashes, rubbing necks, swearing
undying love, etc., etc.  Then the surviving dinosaur turns on the bad
guys and signs, "I'll get you for this!".  My gawd...

If you like dinosaurs, model animation, or special effects, skip this
movie.

	gordon letwin
	microsoft

waltt@tekecs.UUCP (Walt Tucker) (04/19/85)

> I recently went to see the new Disney dinosaur flick, "Baby." My
> friend and I don't have a lot of respect for most Disney flicks, but

. . . . .

> I think the word "Disney" - all the negative things that conjures up -

My Gawd!!!  Weren't you ever a child!   While I agree with some of your
comments concerning your perception of Walt Disney movies from an adult
point of view, you have to remember what Walt Disney movies are -- wholesome
family entertainment.  As such, the good and bad characters and plot
episodes are often exagerated, much the same as "Classic" Disney movies
such as Absent Minded Professor, Snow White, etc.   If the Disney people
wanted "Baby" to be taken as anything other than family movie (read heavily
oriented towards children), they would have released the movie under the
"Touchstone" label rather than the "Disney" label.  Too bad a G rating kills
a movie at the box office, otherwise they wouldn't have felt they needed to
creep into the "PG" category (creep is exactly what they did).

There are very few "family" movies produced these days.  While I don't have
children myself, and at this stage in my life prefer to see "adult contempory
movies" (how's that for a broad categoy), I am glad to see a movie such
as "Baby" produced as an alternative for children to such movies as
"E.T.", "Gremlins", and "Star Wars."  I appreciate the dilemma faced by
many of my friends with children who have trouble finding movies that
won't either scare them or fill them with a lot of questions they don't
particularly feel like answering that day.

Don't get me wrong.  I enjoy many different types of movies, and have no
major qualms with the rating system or the types of movies being produced
(law of supply and demand, don'tca know).  However, some of my fondest
childhood memories are of Walt Disney movies of the 1960's.  I hope the
Walt Disney genre of film never disappears.

                        -- Walt Tucker
                           Tektronix, Inc.

cm@unc.UUCP (Chuck Mosher) (04/21/85)

In article <tekecs.5258> waltt@tekecs.UUCP (Walt Tucker) writes:

>There are very few "family" movies produced these days.  While I don't have
>children myself, and at this stage in my life prefer to see "adult contempory
>movies" (how's that for a broad categoy), I am glad to see a movie such
>as "Baby" produced as an alternative for children to such movies as
>"E.T.", "Gremlins", and "Star Wars."  I appreciate the dilemma faced by
>many of my friends with children who have trouble finding movies that
>won't either scare them or fill them with a lot of questions they don't
>particularly feel like answering that day.
>
>                        -- Walt Tucker
>                           Tektronix, Inc.

The problem is that "Baby" *does* scare them and fill them with questions
like "why are they riddling the daddy dinosaur with bullets?  why are they
riddling each other with bullets?  why are they blowing up an entire town?
why does everybody look so happy riddling each other with bullets?".  The
whole movie is nothing but a war.

I was *FURIOUS* because I had called the theater beforehand and asked how
violent the movie was.  The manager assured me that it was fairly tame as
such things go - "there is a little gunplay".  A LITTLE????????!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe I'm out of touch but I expect that when I take my 2 and 3 year-olds
to a G movie I expect not to have to hold them and cover their eyes during
the movie!  It was even upsetting to my 11yr old although he denied it.
We probably should have left the theater, but we had played the movie up
to them so that it would have been really upsetting to them to leave in the
middle.  Thinking back on it we should have left.  It's hard to always make
the right choice!

In sum, do NOT take you kids to "Baby" unless you also let them watch
"A Team" on TV, in which case they won't be learning anything new.

It really floors me to see what movies, TV, etc. are teaching our kids!
Take an active role against this brainwashing!  (I guess that is ultimately
what really has me upset - I try to monitor what they are exposed to and
then I get tricked into a situation like the above.)

					Chuck Mosher
					UNC Computer Science
					Chapel Hill, NC
					!decvax!mcnc!unc!cm

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (04/23/85)

In article <5258@tekecs.UUCP> waltt@tekecs.UUCP (Walt Tucker) writes:
>My Gawd!!!  Weren't you ever a child!   While I agree with some of your
>comments concerning your perception of Walt Disney movies from an adult
>point of view, you have to remember what Walt Disney movies are -- wholesome
>family entertainment.  As such, the good and bad characters and plot
>episodes are often exagerated, much the same as "Classic" Disney movies
>such as Absent Minded Professor, Snow White, etc.

Disney movies really have four periods, as far as I can tell.  In the early
period, Disney made nothing but animation.  There's hardly a one of these,
feature length or short, that isn't well worth seeing.  In the late Forties,
Disney started making live action films, as well.  By and large, these were
quality action-adventure films eminently suitable for the entire family.  A
couple were mediocre, most were OK, and a few were great.  There were also a
few moderately funny comedies, more appealing to children than adults, but
that was OK.  In the mid-Sixties, Disney began to get old and eventually died.
In this period and through the Seventies, Disney's company made a bunch of
increasingly feeble comedy-adventure movies, with an occasional cheesy
action-adventure film thrown in and a few Godawful musicals. (Join in with me on
the chorus of "Detroit" from that undying classic, "The Happiest Millionaire",
and who can forget that immortal standard, "Let's Put it Over With Grover", a
Grover Cleveland election song from "The One, the Only, Genuine, Original
Family Band".) One or two of these films are watchable, the rest are trash.

Finally, in the Eighties, the company started groping towards a new style of
filmmaking.  Groping is the word, as they came up with "Tron", "Something
Wicked This Way Comes", and some other less than spectacular successes.
(Lost in the shuffle was "Tex", an excellent film and a true pointer towards
the way Disney should be heading.)  While these films were failures, they
were at least interesting failures.  "Baby" is a dull failure, a throwback
to the worst style of the Seventies with a few touchs to smut it up to a
PG rating.  Many children are undiscriminating, but they deserve better from
the self-proclaimed champion of children's films, which so astutely passed on
"E.T." and "Star Wars".

>If the Disney people
>wanted "Baby" to be taken as anything other than family movie (read heavily
>oriented towards children), they would have released the movie under the
>"Touchstone" label rather than the "Disney" label.

They did.  "Baby" is a Touchstone film, not Disney.  Apparently everyone
in the world knows that Disney is the backer of Touchstone films, though,
since the Disney crowd was out in force when I went to see it.

>There are very few "family" movies produced these days.  ...
>I am glad to see a movie such
>as "Baby" produced as an alternative for children to such movies as
>"E.T.", "Gremlins", and "Star Wars."  I appreciate the dilemma faced by
>many of my friends with children who have trouble finding movies that
>won't either scare them or fill them with a lot of questions they don't
>particularly feel like answering that day.

The dearth of children's films is indeed disturbing.  I find it incredible
that trash like the Smurf movie and the Carebears movie can rake in the
bucks because no one else is interested in providing quality children's
films.  One of the great mysteries of American films (for me, at least) is
how we forget how to make enjoyable films for children without sex or
bloody violence.  I personally would find "Baby" far too likely to raise
undesirable questions ("Daddy, what are those pills the woman is taking?")
and far too violent to serve as a good children's film.  I find the very
thought that "Gremlins" was a children's film quite disturbing.

>However, some of my fondest
>childhood memories are of Walt Disney movies of the 1960's.  I hope the
>Walt Disney genre of film never disappears.

If you mean the good old stuff like "The Absent Minded Professor" and
"Darby O'Gill and the Little People" (with Sean Connery as the vapid
young hero; who'd have thought it?) and "Toby Tyler" and "The Scarecrow
of Romney Marsh", I sort of agree, but rather than wish they'd never disappear,
I wish they'd come back.  If you mean "One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing" and
"Herby Goes to Monte Carlo" and "The Apple Dumpling Gang", I only wish they'd
go away.
--
        			Peter Reiher
        			reiher@ucla-cs.arpa

waltt@tekecs.UUCP (Walt Tucker) (04/24/85)

> >However, some of my fondest
> >childhood memories are of Walt Disney movies of the 1960's.  I hope the
> >Walt Disney genre of film never disappears.
>
> If you mean the good old stuff like "The Absent Minded Professor" and
> "Darby O'Gill and the Little People" (with Sean Connery as the vapid
> young hero; who'd have thought it?) and "Toby Tyler" and "The Scarecrow
> of Romney Marsh", I sort of agree, but rather than wish they'd never disappear,
> I wish they'd come back.  If you mean "One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing" and
> "Herby Goes to Monte Carlo" and "The Apple Dumpling Gang", I only wish they'd
> go away.
> --
>         			Peter Reiher
>         			reiher@ucla-cs.arpa
>         			{...ihnp4,ucbvax,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!reiher

What about "The Gnomemobile" and "The Compute wore Tennis Shoes" and the
original "Love Bug" and "The Parent Trap" and ...

waltt@tekecs.UUCP (Walt Tucker) (04/24/85)

(sorry, sent it out last time before I was finished editing)

> >However, some of my fondest
> >childhood memories are of Walt Disney movies of the 1960's.  I hope the
> >Walt Disney genre of film never disappears.
>
> If you mean the good old stuff like "The Absent Minded Professor" and
> "Darby O'Gill and the Little People" (with Sean Connery as the vapid
> young hero; who'd have thought it?) and "Toby Tyler" and "The Scarecrow
> of Romney Marsh", I sort of agree, but rather than wish they'd never disappear,
> I wish they'd come back.

What about "The Gnomemobile" and "The Compute wore Tennis Shoes" and the
original "Love Bug" and "The Parent Trap" and "The Horse in the Gray
Flannel Suit" and "That Darn Cat" and ...

                               -- Walt Tucker
                                  Tektronix, Inc.

barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) (04/24/85)

>> I recently went to see the new Disney dinosaur flick, "Baby." My
>> friend and I don't have a lot of respect for most Disney flicks, but
>. . . . .
>> I think the word "Disney" - all the negative things that conjures up -
>
>My Gawd!!!  Weren't you ever a child!   While I agree with some of your
>comments concerning your perception of Walt Disney movies from an adult
>point of view, you have to remember what Walt Disney movies are -- wholesome
>family entertainment.

	Walt, I could be wrong, but I think the original poster was objecting
not to the family orientation of Disney movies, but simply to poor movie
making. There are many like myself who *love* the Disney classics, but
who also feel that the Disney organization has not been the same since
the old man died, and has produced few movies even a child could respect
in recent years.

>As such, the good and bad characters and plot
>episodes are often exagerated, much the same as "Classic" Disney movies
>such as Absent Minded Professor, Snow White, etc.   If the Disney people
>wanted "Baby" to be taken as anything other than family movie (read heavily
>oriented towards children), they would have released the movie under the
>"Touchstone" label rather than the "Disney" label.  Too bad a G rating kills
>a movie at the box office, otherwise they wouldn't have felt they needed to
>creep into the "PG" category (creep is exactly what they did).
>
>There are very few "family" movies produced these days.  While I don't have
>children myself, and at this stage in my life prefer to see "adult contempory
>movies" (how's that for a broad categoy), I am glad to see a movie such
>as "Baby" produced as an alternative for children to such movies as
>"E.T.", "Gremlins", and "Star Wars."  I appreciate the dilemma faced by
>many of my friends with children who have trouble finding movies that
>won't either scare them or fill them with a lot of questions they don't
>particularly feel like answering that day.

	Was ET a scary movie? As I recall it, it was not. I always figured
it got a PG rating because of one or two instances of slightly adult
language. By contrast, I know a number of people who were quite frightened
by the witch in SNOW WHITE when they saw it as children.
	I think one can applaud the intent of Disney Studios to make
family-oriented films, and still criticize them for doing such a rotten
job of it.

-  From the Crow's Nest  -                      Kenn Barry
                                                NASA-Ames Research Center
                                                Moffett Field, CA
 	USENET:		 {ihnp4,vortex,dual,hao,menlo70,hplabs}!ames!barry

devine@asgb.UUCP (Robert J. Devine) (04/24/85)

  The movie critic for the Denver Post (no plug intended) called
this movie 'Bambi-saurus'.

Bob Devine

avolio@decuac.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) (04/25/85)

>> There are very few "family" movies produced these days. ...  I am glad
>> to see a movie such as "Baby" produced as an alternative for children
>> to such movies as "E.T.", "Gremlins", and "Star Wars." I appreciate
>> the dilemma faced by many of my friends with children who have trouble
>> finding ...
>
> The dearth of children's films is indeed disturbing.  I find it
> incredible that trash like the Smurf movie and the Carebears movie can
> rake in the bucks because no one else is interested in providing
> quality children's films.

   As a parent with very young kids (3 1/2 and 2) I am looking ahead to
the day when they are old enough to sit through a 2 hour movie and
suspect I'll be buying a VCR and renting things like Mary Poppins, The
Swiss Family Robinson, The Absent-minded Professor, and Debbie Does
Dallas. (Just kidding on the last ... wanted to see if you were paying
attention.) And I, too, was horrified to see so many parents with their
real little kids in tow to see real "kiddie-nightmare-producers" such as
Temple of Doom and Gremlins.  (RE. The Carebears Movie, my house rule:
no movies or TV shows based on toys will be viewed!  The idea!)
--
Fred Avolio      {decvax,seismo}!decuac!avolio      301/731-4100 x4227

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (04/26/85)

In article <5272@tekecs.UUCP> waltt@tekecs.UUCP (Walt Tucker) writes:

>What about "The Gnomemobile" and "The Compute wore Tennis Shoes" and the
>original "Love Bug" and "The Parent Trap" and ...

"The Parent Trap" is from 1961.  "The Gnomemobile" was from 1967 and "The Love
Bug" from 1968.  Disney died in 67, so all three of these films were
essentially under his influence.  (He must at least have approved the script
for "The Love Bug".)  Things started getting really bad after his death,
though even these films are more acceptable than really good.  I'm not
especially fond, myself, of Kurt Russell's Disney films of the 70s, so I don't
exactly count "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes" as a classic.
--

goldman@umn-cs.UUCP (Matthew D. Goldman ) (04/29/85)

In article <493@decuac.UUCP> avolio@decuac.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
>...(RE. The Carebears Movie, my house rule:
>no movies or TV shows based on toys will be viewed!  The idea!)
>--
>Fred Avolio      {decvax,seismo}!decuac!avolio      301/731-4100 x4227

lets get rid of the shows which are based on toys!

--
-------
				Matthew Goldman

Home is where you take your hat off...			Banzai!