[comp.lang.fortran] Wanted: RATFOR, EFL or other FORTRAN preprocessor

mgarrett@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP (Toni) (09/18/89)

Can anyone direct me to source code for a FORTRAN preprocessor?
RATFOR and EFL are probably the best known, but if you have
another favorite, I would be happy to hear about it.

Public domain code in FORTRAN would be most useful.  Code in
RATFOR or EFL is also OK, and code in C would be better than
nothing.  Information about commercially distributed products
is also welcome.

Addison-Wesley used to distribute code from "Software Tools"
by Kernigan and Plauger on tape, including RATFOR.  The book
is still in print, but the tape is no longer available from
the publisher.  I imagine this code must be essentially public
domain by now.  Does anyone know where it can be found?

Code for RATFOR in C was posted to comp.sources sometime in
early 1988.  For portability reasons, this would be less
desirable than FORTRAN code, but any pointers to its current
whereabouts would also be welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Warren Jones                  UUCP:  c/o uvicctr!mgarrett
PAMAP Graphics Ltd
#301 - 3440 Douglas St.
Victoria, B.C.
V8Z 3L5 Canada

seymour@blake.acs.washington.edu (Richard Seymour) (09/19/89)

In article <785@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP> mgarrett@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP (Toni) writes:
>Can anyone direct me to source code for a FORTRAN preprocessor?

look into the previous years' DECUS  tapes -- both the VAX/VMS SIG
and the Languages and Tools SIG --
they often have entire  languages as well as repeated (updated and
maintained) copies of RATFOR and Friends (such as Flecs).

There is an active Vancouver BC DECUS group, and you could try at
TRIUMF at UBC. (the original poster was in Victoria BC).

You could even visit us in Seattle and drag some home
(or hope that i'll remember to tuck a tape under my arm when i float
north)
-- dick  seymour@uwaphast.bitnet

mac@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Myron A. Calhoun) (09/19/89)

In article <785@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP> mgarrett@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP (Toni) writes:
>Can anyone direct me to source code for a FORTRAN preprocessor?
>RATFOR and EFL are probably the best known, but if you have
>another favorite, I would be happy to hear about it.

I tried to reply with the following but keep getting a mailer-daemon return:
<<< 550 <mgarrett@uvicctr.uvic.ca.uucp>... User unknown

What about SPARKS, originally distributed with Horowitz & Sahni's
"Fundamentals of Data Structures"?  I had a couple of graduate
students rewrite the SPARKS preprocessor in SPARKS and then add
even more features, so we had meta-SPARKS processors coming out
our ears (the original, SPARKS in SPARKS, ADVANCED SPARKS in
SPARKS, and ADVANCED SPARKS in ADVANCED SPARKS).  For awhile, we
were H. & S.'s official distributors of their own product!

But I don't know why you'd want a preprocessor for FORTRAN 77.
SPARKS was written back in the days when FORTRAN 66 didn't have
any block structure; now that FORTRAN 77 does, preprocessors
seem kind of unnecessary.
--Myron
--
Myron A. Calhoun, PhD EE, W0PBV, (913) 532-6350 (work), 539-4448 (home).
INTERNET: mac@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu

userAKDU@ualtamts.BITNET (Al Dunbar) (09/20/89)

In article <3569@deimos.cis.ksu.edu>, mac@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Myron A. Calhoun) writes:
>In article <785@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP> mgarrett@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP (Toni) writes:
>>Can anyone direct me to source code for a FORTRAN preprocessor?
--- text deleted ---

>But I don't know why you'd want a preprocessor for FORTRAN 77.

The Radio Astrophysical Laboratory (Penticton, British Columbia,
CANADA) uses a  home-grown  f77  preprocessor.  In  addition  to
providing such obvious extensions as ENDDO, it provides elements
of object oriented  programming,  something  like  modules,  and
allows  (forces?)  you  to  avoid numbered statements and common
blocks. It also helps them enforce programming and documentation
standards  on  contract staff (summer students). They claim that
they get more productivity from these people because of its use,
and  that the code developed is very easy for others to maintain
afterward.
-------------------+-------------------------------------------
Alastair Dunbar    | Edmonton: a great place, but...
Edmonton, Alberta  | before Gretzky trade: "City of Champions"
CANADA             | after Gretzky trade: "City of Champignons"
-------------------+-------------------------------------------

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (09/20/89)

In article <3569@deimos.cis.ksu.edu> mac@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Myron A. Calhoun) writes:
|[...]
|But I don't know why you'd want a preprocessor for FORTRAN 77.
|SPARKS was written back in the days when FORTRAN 66 didn't have
|any block structure; now that FORTRAN 77 does, preprocessors
|seem kind of unnecessary.

	I once went to the trouble of rewriting RATFOR
	on the IBM mainframe specifically to make it
	output FORTRAN 77 as object language.

	The reason was to take advantage of the much
	nicer syntax of RATFOR, and to provide a language
	environment which was closer to C in form, so that
	eventual migration would be comparatively painless.

--
   __ 	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \cc/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu