[comp.lang.fortran] TIDY? -- was: Re: Fortran preprocessors

rbthomas@athos.rutgers.edu (Rick Thomas) (10/03/89)

Once upon a time there was a program called TIDY, that "cleaned up old
tired Fortran decks"  It renumbered statments and optionally did
things like convert '""' type hollerith constants to '77H' type, and
so on.

It was Fortran-66 based, but I wonder if it was ever updated to handle
Fortran77.

It was Public Domain, if I remember right, having been originally
written at some place like the National Security Agency.  I need a
Fortran parser as the beginnings of a SUN to CDC Fortran converter,
and I thought TIDY might be a good starting point.

Any pointers?

Any pointers to any other PD programs that might serve the purpose?

I don't usually read this group, so please reply directly by e-mail.
If there is enough interest, I will summarize to the net.

Thanks in advance!

Rick

Rick Thomas, Manager
Supercomputer Remote Access Center
Rutgers University, College of Engineering
Brett and Bowser Roads
Piscataway, NJ 08855-0909

Phone: (201) 932-4301
Internet: rbthomas@jove.rutgers.edu
UUCP: {any backbone site}!rutgers!jove.rutgers.edu!rbthomas
Alternate UUCP: {convex|c1apple|karna}!kingtut!rbthomas

There are lots of dangerous people on the streets of Manhattan...
	     muggers,  rapists,  mimes...

Rick Thomas
uucp: {ames, att, harvard}!rutgers!jove.rutgers.edu!rbthomas
internet: rbthomas@JOVE.RUTGERS.EDU
bitnet: rbthomas@zodiac.bitnet
Phone: (201) 932-4301

scowles@lll-lcc.UUCP (Sid Cowles) (10/04/89)

In article <Oct.3.11.55.09.1989.25748@athos.rutgers.edu> rbthomas@athos.rutgers.edu (Rick Thomas) writes:
>Once upon a time there was a program called TIDY, that "cleaned up old
>tired Fortran decks"  It renumbered statments and optionally did
>things like convert '""' type hollerith constants to '77H' type, and
>so on.
>
>It was Fortran-66 based, but I wonder if it was ever updated to handle
>Fortran77.
>Any pointers?
>Internet: rbthomas@jove.rutgers.edu

tidy is alive and well.  i've used it and found it to be worthwhile
for cleaning up code.  i've taken the liberty of including the
cover and first page from TIDY.DOC, below.  tidy is available by
anonymous ftp from wsmr-simtel20.army.mil.
s cowles
uucp:      {backbone}!lll-lcc!scowles
internet:  scowles@lll-lcc.llnl.gov

                               TIDY
           A Computer Code for Renumbering and Editing
                     FORTRAN Source Programs
by:
Harry M. Murphy, Jr.
Air Force Weapons Laboratory
Kirtland AFB, New Mexico

FORTRAN-77 Conversion by:
Alan G. Stangenberger
Dept. of Forestry & Resource Management
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

Copyright (C) 1989, The Regents of the University of California
                    All Rights Reserved
THE REGENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA MAKE NO
REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTIES WITH RESPECT TO THE CONTENTS HEREOF
AND SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIM ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Further, the Regents of the University of California reserve the
right to revise this software and/or documentation and to make
changes from time to time in the content hereof without
obligation of the Regents of the University of California to
notify any person of such revision or change.

PERMISSION TO COPY AND DISTRIBUTE THIS PROGRAM, AND TO MAKE
DERIVATIVE WORKS FROM IT, IS GRANTED PROVIDED THAT THIS COPY-
RIGHT NOTICE IS RETAINED IN ALL SOURCE CODE AND USER MANUALS.

I.  Introduction
The TIDY program renumbers and otherwise cleans up old and tired
FORTRAN source programs.  TIDY accepts ANSI FORTRAN with 19
continuation cards as well as some IBM and CDC dialect FORTRAN
statements. It is designed to work with ANSI FORTRAN-77, and will
also accept FORTRAN II and FORTRAN IV statements. Certain
FORTRAN II statements (such as READ INPUT TAPE) are automatically
translated to their FORTRAN IV equivalents.  All lower case
alphabetic characters are translated to upper case except for
those in strings, Hollerith constants, and comment statements.

Although this manual is oriented to MS-DOS computers, this
version of TIDY has been successfully installed under the UNIX
(4.3 BSD) and IBM VM/CMS operating systems.

wvenable@spam.ua.oz (Bill Venables) (10/06/89)

In article <2615@lll-lcc.UUCP> scowles@lll-lcc.llnl.gov (Sid Cowles) writes:
> In article <Oct.3.11.55.09.1989.25748@athos.rutgers.edu> rbthomas@athos.rutgers.edu (Rick Thomas) writes:
>>Once upon a time there was a program called TIDY, that "cleaned up old
>>tired Fortran decks"  [...]
>
> tidy is alive and well. [...]
>                                            tidy is available by
> anonymous ftp from wsmr-simtel20.army.mil.

Could someone with authority to do so please post the sources of tidy for
those of us who cannot access the anonymous ftp site?
--
  Bill Venables, Dept. Statistics,        | Email:   wvenable@spam.ua.oz.au
  Univ. of Adelaide,  South Australia.    | Phone:           +61 8 228 5418