Date:     Fri, 20 OCT 89 10:57:28 BST
From: CTCMILES%vax.oxford.ac.uk@RELAY.CS.NET
To: x3j3@NCSA.NCSA.UIUC.EDU
Subject:  Re: X3 vote

Does X3 inhabit the same planet as the rest of us?

> There was much discussion of the international implications of this vote.
> Internationally, the Fortran Extended standard will be the SAME as the
> ANSI Fortran Extended standard.

ISO is producing a revision to the International Standard 1539-1980, which is
identical to X3.9-1978.  There has never been any suggestion that ISO should
keep 1539-1980 and produce some new "Fortran Extended" standard.  When
Fortran 8x is adopted internationally it will REPLACE Fortran 77 as an
international standard.  If the US (i.e. X3) wishes to adopt different
standards from those in use in the rest of the world that is its problem;  but
any consideration of the international implications of X3's vote would appear
to have been confined to ignoring them.

It is perhaps worth reminding everyone that only three weeks ago SC22, at its
biennial plenary passed the following two resolutions (amongst many others):

   AH. Fortran
   -----------

   ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22
        - records its intent that the second DP 1539 be the
   basis of the international Fortran standard and that in
   the interest of timely adoption of this standard no
   further changes should be made other than corrections of
   errors and inconsistencies in response to member body
   comments; and
        - to accelerate further the progress to DIS stage,
   requests the convenor of WG5 to convene a meeting of WG5
   immediately after the end of the second DP ballot period
   if significant changes are requested in member body
   ballot comments.

   AS. Fortran 77
   --------------
   ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22
        - notes the interest of the US member
   body in retaining Fortran 77 as a national standard after
   the adoption of Fortran 8X;
        - notes also the technical recommendation of WG5 not
   to have more than one Fortran standard nor to have any
   subset; and
        - requests WG5 to work together with the US Fortran
   committee (ANSI X3J3) to find a solution which reconciles
   these conflicting positions, and report this to the next
   SC22 Advisory Group or plenary meeting.

If X3's way of working together with WG5 "to find a solution which reconciles
their conflicting positions" (last part of resolution AS) is to take its own
decision without consulting ANY international body (or even its own Fortran
subcommittee) then it seems clear that it has no intention whatsoever of
playing a serious part in INTERNATIONAL standardisation activities, and I
would suggest that SC22 may well (and certainly should) remove all
responsibility for the development of international standards from such a
body as soon as it can.

> This is in compliance with the October, 1988 directive of X3 that X3J3
> produce a single standard for both domestic and international use.

I can't remember the wording, but the clear implication of X3's resolution
was that this single standard should be the ISO standard, not that ANSI
should produce its own rival standard and claim that this was also for
international use.

> If the International Standards Organization (ISO) so chooses, FORTRAN 77
> could be retained as a separate ISO standard also.  That decision will
> be made by ISO at some future time.

In other words, ANSI/X3 won't discuss anything with ISO, and indeed will do
the exact opposite of what ISO wants, and will then claim that if ISO refuses
to be railroaded into changing its mind, then any problems with different
standards are ISO's fault!  Even that illustrious old member of my college,
Charles Dodgson (better known as Lewis Carrol), wouldn't have thought of
that one!

> This vote is good news for the ENTIRE FORTRAN community.

PRESLEY, YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!  It is an unmitigated disaster.

Miles

Date: 20 Oct 89  11:06:14 bst
From: D.T.Muxworthy%edinburgh.ac.uk@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: X3 vote
To: x3j3@NCSA.NCSA.UIUC.EDU, sc22wg5%awituw01.bitnet@RELAY.CS.NET

SC22 asked WG5 to work with X3J3 to reach a compromise but it now seems that X3
has fixed the US position with no attempt to compromise, or even it would
appear, to consider the counter-arguments or the likely consequences.

The WG5 task is to revise IS 1539:1980 (=Fortran 77).  There has been little
sentiment in favour of subsets (9-0-1 by country for a single standard at the
last meeting; the abstention was not from the US).  There has been no sentiment
at all in favour of retaining Fortran 77 as a separate standard.  At the recent
SC22 meeting the international community essentially endorsed WG5's position and
urged it to pursue "timely adoption" of the new standard.

Fortran 77 is a small old-fashioned language. At recent forums in the UK users
said they could hardly wait to get their hands on Fortran 8X facilities; even
when prompted, no-one expressed reservations about usability of old code.  Thus
I do not expect to see much change in the WG5 technical position.

To echo what Kurt says, it IS a disaster for the Fortran community.  X3 has
voted, whether it realises it or not, to have different Fortran standards in the
US and internationally; let us at least try to make sure that the technical
content is the same. X3 has also, amazingly, voted to countermand exactly its
directive of only a year ago.  It has voted for widespread confusion.  In the
longer term, it has almost certainly voted to ensure that the next international
Fortran standard will be produced by an international working group, not a US
committee. This will probably apply also to other languages, notably 'C'. I
cannot believe this is really what X3 intended.

David Muxworthy

From @RELAY.CS.NET,@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu,@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu:Z3000TT@AWITUW01.BITNET Fri Oct 20 16:02:48 1989
To: x3j3@NCSA.NCSA.UIUC.EDU
From: Z3000TT%awituw01.bitnet@RELAY.CS.NET