[comp.lang.fortran] Microsoft Fortran for the Mac

dcoster@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (David Peter Coster) (01/03/90)

I have been trying to use version 2.2 of the Microsoft Fortran
compiler for the Mac and have been experiencing some problems.  The
major problem is that for small array sizes the program seems to work,
but for large array sizes the program doesn't work (this has happened
for a couple of programs, most recently on a version of the LINPACK
benchmark).  By "doesn't work" I mean the program disappears into
limbo, output that should appear at the terminal disappearing
completely.  Another, probably related, problem is that on these
larger problems the debugger displays blank windows instead of the
normal contents of these windows.  I have experienced these problems
on both a Mac II with 5MB and a SE30 with 4MB.

The program was bought by PPPL some time ago, and I am using it at the
moment to evaluate the feasibilty of using it for real programs.  With
its current limitation to toy problems, the recommendation will be a
very definite NO!

I would also appreciate a response from people who have tried using
this and other FORTRAN compilers on the Mac.

Many thanks

David Coster

dcoster@phoenix.princeton.edu

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (01/03/90)

In article <12613@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> dcoster@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (David Peter Coster) writes:
>I have been trying to use version 2.2 of the Microsoft Fortran
>compiler for the Mac and have been experiencing some problems.

I believe that this version is obsolete.  The MS compiler was produced
by AbSoft and I think the current version is 2.4.  You should contact
AbSoft and see whether the problems are fixed in the current version.
Their number is (313)853-0050 and they have a BBS (1200 baud) at
(313)853-0000.

I have found the AbSoft compiler for the Mac very picky.  I have been
using version 2.3 of their Atari ST compiler and it is a lot easier to
work with.  However, both compilers have handled a large body of pretty
complex code.

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2

elabed@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Hani El-Abed, MIC at MACC) (01/04/90)

In article <12613@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, dcoster@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (David Peter Coster) writes...

>I have been trying to use version 2.2 of the Microsoft Fortran
>compiler for the Mac and have been experiencing some problems.  The
>major problem is that for small array sizes the program seems to work,
>but for large array sizes the program doesn't work (this has happened
>for a couple of programs, most recently on a version of the LINPACK
>benchmark).  By "doesn't work" I mean the program disappears into
>limbo, output that should appear at the terminal disappearing
>completely.  Another, probably related, problem is that on these
>larger problems the debugger displays blank windows instead of the
>normal contents of these windows.  I have experienced these problems
>on both a Mac II with 5MB and a SE30 with 4MB.
>
>The program was bought by PPPL some time ago, and I am using it at the
>moment to evaluate the feasibilty of using it for real programs.  With
>its current limitation to toy problems, the recommendation will be a
>very definite NO!
>
>I would also appreciate a response from people who have tried using
>this and other FORTRAN compilers on the Mac.
>
>Many thanks
>
>David Coster
>
>dcoster@phoenix.princeton.edu

This is my personal opinion about MS FORTRAN and the Company They bought
it from (Absoft)...

I think these two compiler are pieces of Garb***e...

I had tons of problems with them...I decided to bite the bullet and
bought from my own pocket the "Language System Fortan Compiler" that
runs under the "Macintosh Programmer's Workshop(MPW)"..

I took a finite element program that I had running on a VAX 11-780..
and by golly, It compiled, ran, and even lets me know if my arrays
get to big,  without touching the source code..The Compiler and MPW
cost about $350 from Language System Corp...

Lately I have raised my standard I am using C++ for all software development
and sometimes call Fortran routines that  I link to C++

Go C++ is my new motto...

Have a good day..

Sorry Microsoft and Absoft...but those hours I spent through your crummy
documentation did go in vain...

Hani El-ABed

math1h3@jane.uh.edu (01/04/90)

In article <12613@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, dcoster@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (David Peter Coster) writes:

> I would also appreciate a response from people who have tried using
> this and other FORTRAN compilers on the Mac.

I have used the Absoft Fortran Compilers, MacFortran 020 v. 2.2 and MPW Fortran
1.1.  I have used both of them with 2 16x1000 real + 2 4x1000 real arrays.
What do you consider big?
	I don't think the Microsoft Fortran 2.2 generates 68020 code.  This
could be the source of your problem.  MacFortran 020 can write for all Macs,
but MPW Fortran writes code for 68020 and 68030 machines.
	Both complilers have their drawbacks when programming the Mac interface
(and they approach the problem completely differently).
	MPW Fortran code executes faster; it does whetstones about .75 as fast
as a VAX 11/780.  MacFortran 020 does it about half as fast as the VAX (if you
don't check array boundaries).
        You can reach Absoft at:
	Absoft Corp.
	2781 Bond Street
	Rochester Hills, MI 48309
	1-313-853-0050

	I hope this helps.

David Wagner
My opinions are mine and not my employer's.

holiday@tigger.colorado.edu (Matthew Holiday) (01/04/90)

I strongly recommend Language Systems FORTRAN for MPW.  I have had it
for about 1 1/2 years, and it's been a good performer.  It is very
VAX-compatible and very robust.  The current version is 1.2.1; version
2.0 (which should be out RSN) will have near 100% VAX compatibility
and a real optimizer.  Support and documentation are very good.  The
only downside is the expense; for many people, a $400-500 expense for
the compiler, MPW, assembler, and a debugger is no small potatoes.

MPW can take a while to learn -- but it's worth it!  Give me
MPW over any other programming environment (Mac, VAX, Unix, etc.)
any day!  MPW, if you're not familiar with it, has a top-notch editor,
a source code management system, most Unix tools, and an interface
that allows anything to be done either on the command line or with
the mouse (dialog boxes for all tools, compilers, etc. to select
options and files).  MPW supports C, C++, Pascal, Modula-2, and
Simula in addition to FORTRAN.  It allows portable mainframe programs
(such as most Unix C programs) to run with few or no modifications
as MPW tools.

LS FORTRAN will support LINPACK and EISPACK routines just fine.  In
addition, both NAG and IMSL provide subroutine libraries for use
with this compiler (NAG, and perhaps IMSL, used LS FORTRAN to
develop their Mac libraries).

Matt Holiday                     | "If it were done, when 'tis done,
holiday@tigger.colorado.edu      |  Then 'twere well it were done quickly."
University of Colorado, Boulder  |               -- Macbeth I.vii

tdrinkar@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu (Terrell Drinkard) (01/05/90)

> dcoster@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (David Peter Coster) writes:
>I have been trying to use version 2.2 of the Microsoft Fortran
>compiler for the Mac and have been experiencing some problems.  The
>major problem is that for small array sizes the program seems to work,
>but for large array sizes the program doesn't work (this has happened
[loads of problems deleted in the interests of brevity]

>The program was bought by PPPL some time ago, and I am using it at the
>moment to evaluate the feasibilty of using it for real programs.  With
>its current limitation to toy problems, the recommendation will be a
>very definite NO!

It gets worse.  I bought the Microsoft FORTRAN package about three
years ago to do some aerothermodynamic calculations, and it simply
isn't standard FORTRAN.  To make matters worse, the manual must
have been the compiler writer's crib notes, because they were
obviously not written with the user in mind.  And to add insult to
injury, their technical support was so bad that I knew more about
the problems than they did.

I eventually had to switch to Pascal (and have never regretted it -
well, almost never :-) to get my work done.

>I would also appreciate a response from people who have tried using
>this and other FORTRAN compilers on the Mac.
>
>Many thanks
>
>David Coster
>dcoster@phoenix.princeton.edu

I hope that was what you were looking for.  I have heard, though I
have no first hand experience, that the Absoft FORTRAN is good.

Terry

DISCLAIMER:  My only connection with Microsoft is as a dissatisfied
customer.
Disclaimer et la Signaturo:
Hell no, I'm not responsible for what I say!  If everyone were
responsible for what they said, we'd have had a balanced budget in
1984.

math1h3@elroy.uh.edu (01/06/90)

  As long as we are going to chew on this topic, do any of the Absoft critics
have comments on their MPW compliler?  Benchmarks, or other
execution/compilation comparisons?

David H. Wagner
My opinions are independent of my employer's.

rtp1@tank.uchicago.edu (raymond thomas pierrehumbert) (01/06/90)

>I have been trying to use version 2.2 of the Microsoft Fortran
>compiler for the Mac and have been experiencing some problems.  The
>major problem is that for small array sizes the program seems to work
(.. but for large arrays it doesn't).
    I have used Fortran on huge arrays with no problem. However, if
you are working under Multifinder, you must explicitly set the
memory requirements via Get Info, or the program will just
disappear into the ozone, perhaps taking your mac with it.  If
the large arrays are dynamically allocated in subroutines,
there can also be problems with overflowing the application heap.