[comp.lang.fortran] A Lint-like tool for fortran

mclay@orville.ae.utexas.edu (Robert McLay) (02/20/90)

I am interested in a lint like tool for fortran, similar to what is available
in Unix for 'C'.  I've seen mention for some thing like this for a
Convex from third-party vendors.  Idealy, I would like a tool which
would compare subroutine calls for number and type of argument.
Possibly check for uninitialized variables, etc.  It would be nice if
it ran on Unix machines like Suns or Alliants.  I am interested in
both public domain and commercial software.

Robert McLay
Manager CFDLAB
mclay@emx.utexas.edu

mike@hpfcso.HP.COM (Mike McNelly) (02/21/90)

Hewlett Packard HP-UX machines have a utility, flint, which does what you
want. It is proprietary.

Mike McNelly
mike%hpfcla@hplabs.hp.com

trh@ukc.ac.uk (T.R.Hopkins) (02/21/90)

In article <9080001@hpfcso.HP.COM> mike@hpfcso.HP.COM (Mike McNelly) writes:
>Hewlett Packard HP-UX machines have a utility, flint, which does what you
>want. It is proprietary.
>
>Mike McNelly
>mike%hpfcla@hplabs.hp.com

There is a proprietary s/ware product called flint which provides
ANSI standard (and many other portability and stylistic) warnings,
complexity measures, call trees, basic block coverage etc.

It is very fast and available on a lot of machines.

Contact address

Les Hatton
Programming Research Ltd
Kings Avenue House
Kings Avenue
New Malden
Surrey, UK

+44 1 942 9242

There is a Toolpack utility for standard checking which consists
of a sequence of tools - a lexer, a parser, a semantic checker and
a inter-program unit checker. The problem with it is that if one
of first tools fails (e.g., you have VAX extensions in your source)
then you can't go any further down the chain.

FORCHK (available form Leiden University) is a Fortran 77 version
of the old PFORT -- i.e., it does ANSI Fortran 77 standard checking.
We have a copy of this but I haven't had time to really pound it.
First impressions are good though.

Tim

--
Tim Hopkins,                  { trh@ukc.ac.uk