[comp.lang.fortran] VMS FORTRAN to FORTRAN77

zhao@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (T.C. Zhao) (03/01/90)

Any info on PD software to convert VMS FORTRAN to FORTRAN 77 will
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Internet:       zhao@csd4.csd.uwm.edu
  BITNET:       zhao%csd4.csd.uwm.edu@WISCMAC3.BITNET

GILLA@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Arnold G. Gill) (03/02/90)

     VMS Fortran is already an extended set of FORTRAN 77.  There are a few
VMS specific features, but these are easily avoided and rewritten.  What
exactly are you trying to do?
-------
 -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
|  Arnold Gill                        |                                     |
|  Queen's University at Kingston     |     If I hadn't wanted it heard,    |
|  BITNET   : gilla@qucdn             |       I wouldn't have said it.      |
|  X-400    : Arnold.Gill@QueensU.CA  |                                     |
|  INTERNET : gilla@qucdn.queensu.ca  |                                     |
 -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) (03/03/90)

In article <2665@uwm.edu>, zhao@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (T.C. Zhao) writes:
> Any info on PD software to convert VMS FORTRAN to FORTRAN 77 will
> be greatly appreciated.

	VAX FORTRAN is just a superset of FORTRAN 77.  Send the source code to
your target machine and try to compile.  Your compiler will flag things it
doesn't like that are VAX specific.  That's what I would do.

             ____ ____    ___
Earle Ake   /___ /___/ / /     Science Applications International Corporation
           ____//   / / /__                 Dayton, Ohio
Internet: fac2%dayton.saic.com@uunet.uu.net    uucp: dayvb!fac2

seibel@cgl.ucsf.edu (George Seibel) (03/04/90)

In article <90061.083518GILLA@QUCDN.BITNET> GILLA@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Arnold G. Gill) writes:

>     VMS Fortran is already an extended set of FORTRAN 77.  There are a few
>VMS specific features, but these are easily avoided and rewritten.  What
>exactly are you trying to do?

A *FEW* VMS specific features?  It's practically a different language!
At least it can be, if you use the extensions.   It is certainly possible
to write ANSI standard code on a VMS machine, but DEC certainly doesn't
encourage it.   Porting software written in Vmstran can range from easy
to nearly impossible; usually it's a pain in the neck...   I think Sun
has a tool that handles many of the vms extensions.  A lot of vendors
have extended compilers that can deal with varying amounts of them,
although I've never seen any converter or compiler that could correctly
handle all VMS extensions to fortran.

George Seibel, UCSF
seibel@cgl.ucsf.edu

foreach f ( *.for )
   /bin/rm -f $f
   vi `echo $f | sed -e 's/\.for/.f/'`
end

 (but don't try this guaranteed conversion method unless you
  *really* know what you're doing...)

lumsdon@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Lumsdon) (03/08/90)

$ FORTRAN/WARNINGS=ULTRIX/LIST source

Constructions used in source that aren't supported in DEC's Ultrix FORTRAN
will be flagged with warnings. This should point out a lot of stuff,
as _I_think_ that Ultrix FTN doesn't implement all of the FORTRAN 77
extensions that VMS FORTRAN does.

If you have a current VMS FORTRAN Reference Manual available, the VMS
extensions (Not part of FORTRAN 77) are all marked in greenish-blue
ink. There should be fairly unique keywords used in most of these extensions.
You could count occurrences of them in the source.

--------------- My thoughts are my own, not the Navy's ------------------
Esther Lumsdon     lumsdon@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil    lumsdon%dtrc.arpa
			  David Taylor Research Center, a Navy lab
			  Annapolis Lab  cm 301-267-3816   av 281-3816