[comp.lang.fortran] Fortran on Sun Workstations

randy@chaos.unr.edu (Randy F. Hall) (03/11/90)

We are thinking about buying some sun workstations. Our group is
a bunch of physical chemists. Our main computer need is number
crunching.

I heard a rumor that there was some serious problems with the fortran
compiler for sun workstations?

Can anyone verify or unverify this rumor?

Randy Hall
University of Nevada, Reno
Chemistry Department
Reno, Nevada

raw@math.arizona.edu (Rich Walters) (03/11/90)

In article <3684@tahoe.unr.edu> randy@chaos.unr.edu (Randy F. Hall) writes:

>We are thinking about buying some sun workstations. Our group is
>a bunch of physical chemists. Our main computer need is number
>crunching.
>
>I heard a rumor that there was some serious problems with the fortran
>compiler for sun workstations?
>
>Can anyone verify or unverify this rumor?

We use SUNS here at UofA for medium number-crunching.  No problems with fortran
here.  Did you here this rumor from a salesperson of a competeing manufacturer?

			Richard Walter

PS  We use Crays for heavy number crunching.

			Keep on crunching those numbers

bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent Besler) (03/27/90)

In my personal experience I was never able to put Ampac or Mopac 5.0 up
with f77 on a sun 3.  However under SunOS 4, a combustion modeling code(HCT
from Livermore) went up OK.  I would test some of the codes you want to put
up on the machine on a demo machine.  Most computer companies are willing to
let people test there codes on a machine before buying it.  The Dec 3100
workstation has been impressive.  Mopac 5.0 and an earlier INDO code
work fine and at about 11 times the speed of a Microvax.