thanks to the following people

From: myrias!uunet!ukc.ac.uk!trh
From: rfinch@water.ca.gov
From: andy@jay.unspecified
From: khb@Sun.COM
From: Larry Weissman 5-2011 <rutgers!bioeng.washington.edu!larryw>
From: Scott Lamson <rutgers!sierra.crd.ge.com!lamson>

The responses fell into three categories.
a) Use the syntax displaying the contents of memory from a certain
location for a given length in a desired mode, e.g., rfinch@water.ca.com
suggested
&a[3] / 7 f

which means print the 7 values starting at the symbolic address of
a[3], in floating point format (dbx(1) p. 131).

b) Write a routine to print out the desired elements, and incorporate it
in the code to be debugged.  One needs a separate routine for each
type (real, integer, etc.).  This routine can then be called from within
dbx.  The only drawback is when the output is being redirected to a file,
one will not get to see the values immediately.

c) The third option is to dump dbx and use another debugger.
uunet!ukc.ac.uk!trh sent me information on the UPS debugger, part
of The Kent Software Tools. I quote from the brochure:

+ Graphical Debugging

UPS is a graphical debugger for C and FORTRAN programs.  It  is  both
a post-mortem  and  a run-time debugger.  UPS needs no typed commands;
all interaction is by pointing to and/or editing fields on  the
screen,  or selecting menu options.  For example, to display the value
of a variable the user simply points to its name within the source code
listing.

UPS can display all FORTRAN and  C  data  types,  including
structures, enums,  multidimensional arrays, pointers, etc.  Structure
variables can be expanded to show their contents, pointers can be
followed, all at the _________________________ - UNIX is a trademark of
AT&T Bell Laboratories  in  the  USA  and other countries.

The graphical debugger (ups) is available under both X and suntools on
Sun3 and Sun386 and under X on Vax Stations.

Thanks for all the replies.
-------------------
W. Simon Tortike,                         | tel    : 403/492-3338
Dept of Mining, Metallurgical             | fax    : 403/492-7219
      and Petroleum Engineering,          | CDNnet : simon@cs.UAlberta.CA
University of Alberta,                    | uucp   : simon@alberta.uucp
Edmonton, AB, CANADA T6G 2G6.             |

ksuzuki@caen.engin.umich.edu (KATSUYUKI SUZUKI ) (04/08/90)

In article <1990Apr7.201318.28859@cs.UAlberta.CA> simon@alberta.UUCP (Simon Tortike) writes:

>c) The third option is to dump dbx and use another debugger.
>uunet!ukc.ac.uk!trh sent me information on the UPS debugger, part
>of The Kent Software Tools. I quote from the brochure:

>+ Graphical Debugging

(deleted)

>The graphical debugger (ups) is available under both X and suntools on
>Sun3 and Sun386 and under X on Vax Stations.

Where is this available? Any ftp sites that have this? Or is it commertial
product? If so, how much will it cost ?

Actually, I was also annoyed by dbx unable to print out large array, and
I have been using method a) (e.g. &a[3] / 7 f ), but it is not good when
you want to change only 2nd index. (e.g. want to see a(1,1),a(1,2),a(1,3)...)
Anybody has idea for this case?

                                       Katsu Suzuki
                                         Dpt. of Aerospace engineering
                                         U of Michigan, Ann Arbor

mcw@ukc.ac.uk (M.C.Wheadon) (04/09/90)

In article <1874@zipeecs.umich.edu> ksuzuki@caen.engin.umich.edu (KATSUYUKI SUZUKI ) writes:

>Where is this available? Any ftp sites that have this? Or is it commertial
>product? If so, how much will it cost ?

The ups debugger is a commercial product, available from the University
of Kent at Canterbury, UK.  Ups runs on Sun3 and Sun386 under SunView/X11
and on VAXStations under X11/DECwindows.

It costs 125 pounds UK sterling if you are an academic institution who
wishes to use it for general teaching and research, 795 pounds sterling
for all others.  There's a 30 day money-back guarantee if you're not
happy with it.  Email me your surface mail address if you would like a
brochure and order form.

Cheers
--
   __
  /  )        _/_

simon@alberta.uucp (Simon Tortike) (04/10/90)

In article <4359@harrier.ukc.ac.uk> mcw@ukc.ac.uk (M.C.Wheadon) writes:
>In article <1874@zipeecs.umich.edu> ksuzuki@caen.engin.umich.edu (KATSUYUKI SUZUKI ) writes:
>>
>The ups debugger is a commercial product, available from the University
>of Kent at Canterbury, UK.  Ups runs on Sun3 and Sun386 under SunView/X11
>and on VAXStations under X11/DECwindows.
>
>It costs 125 pounds UK sterling if you are an academic institution who
>wishes to use it for general teaching and research, 795 pounds sterling
>for all others.  There's a 30 day money-back guarantee if you're not
>happy with it.  Email me your surface mail address if you would like a
>brochure and order form.

Incidentally, is the UKL125.00 for a single user or university-wide
licence?

Thanks,
-------------------

mcw@ukc.ac.uk (M.C.Wheadon) (04/10/90)

In article <1990Apr9.171015.14414@cs.UAlberta.CA> simon@alberta.UUCP (Simon Tortike) writes:
 >Incidentally, is the UKL125.00 for a single user or university-wide
 >licence?

The prices quoted are for a licence covering a network of up to 10
workstations.  A site licence costs three times this.

Cheers
--
   __