[comp.lang.fortran] MS FORTRAN and large programs

pdy@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (P. D. Yapa) (04/11/90)

I have used MSFORTRAN on casual basis fro 7 years.
I have had a Some luck since ver 3.31.  I have 5.0 now.
I didn't have much problem running programs that take less than
600 K.  But I'm having a real hard time running larger programs.
I know I need a DOS extender, but it also gives very
unpredictable errors at link time. - annoying !

I am about to switch to Lahey Fortran F77L/EM32

Pooji Yapa
Clarkson University

bauwens@euler.Berkeley.EDU (Luc Bauwens) (04/13/90)

In article <1990Apr11.143323.26359@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> pdy@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (P. D. Yapa) writes:
>I have used MSFORTRAN on casual basis fro 7 years.
>I have had a Some luck since ver 3.31.  I have 5.0 now.
>I didn't have much problem running programs that take less than
>600 K.  But I'm having a real hard time running larger programs.
>I know I need a DOS extender, but it also gives very
>unpredictable errors at link time. - annoying !

I have had funny things happening to me when near (or above?) the
memory limit.  For one thing, it does not really tell you that you are
running out of memory.  The way I found out was that at some point,
when trying to register screen fonts, I got an undocumented error
message (-4).  Phoning Microsoft support, they told me right away
that it meant 'out of memory'.

This finally explained a bunch of sporadic and unpredictable run-time
(not link time) problems I had before: If I would use the print command,
the next time I would run my code, it would not register fonts, and
at some point, tell me that I had too many files open, stuff
like that.

Occasionally, I have had strange link-time error messages which
the manual basically tells you 'if that happens to you, call
Microsoft..'.  But recompiling, the problem would disappear.

As for the optimizer, while I don't know what good it does, I
did not have problems with it, so I keep using it.

At some point, I tried to link together fortran  subroutines
and a quickbasic program.  That, I never managed to get to work.
I called Product support, they explained me how to do it and
shipped me a diskette with an example.  It worked, but when
I recompiled with my quickbasic, which was 4.0, it wouldn't
work.  I concluded I needed 4.5, and converted the whole thing
to fortran, which is what I should have done in the first place
anyway.  (And no, the manuals did not contain the proper
explanation as to how to link the two pieces together).

Luc