[comp.lang.fortran] MacII FORTRAN Compilers?

kling@ut-emx.UUCP (Kenneth A. Klingensmith) (05/03/90)

I would like to locate a FORTRAN compiler that is both f77 compatable
and is reasonably integrated into the Mac environment.  There seem to
be several available: how robust are they?

simon@alberta.uucp (Simon Tortike) (05/04/90)

In article <29346@ut-emx.UUCP> kling@ut-emx.UUCP (Kenneth A. Klingensmith) writes:

>I would like to locate a FORTRAN compiler that is both f77 compatable
>and is reasonably integrated into the Mac environment.  There seem to
>be several available: how robust are they?
The Language Systems Corporation FORTRAN compiler is good, coming with MPW.
Note, however, that the Mac o/s currently has no memory protection, and I found
that developing the typical numerical stuff using FORTRAN meant reinstalling
my system files every few days because they got corrupted.  I have since given
up using it, except to port existing and debugged FORTRAN programs to the
Mac.  I suggest that buying A/UX and using the f77 compiler is a better idea
(A/UX v2.0 supposedly has all the bugs fixed in it): if you are developing the
code at the same time then you have memory protection, and of course one
can generate the Mac o/s application from within A/UX, and it is guaranteed
to be 32-bit clean.  Not to mention all the usual programming tools unix
gives one.  The additional expense is bound to be offset by the time you
save developing programs.
Consider the purpose of the compiler first (development or porting?) and then
choose the environment (Mac o/s or A/UX), and then the compiler if for Mac o/s.
W. Simon Tortike,                         | tel    : 403/492-3338
Dept of Mining, Metallurgical             | fax    : 403/492-7219
      and Petroleum Engineering,          | CDNnet : simon@cs.UAlberta.CA
University of Alberta,                    | uucp   : simon@alberta.uucp
Edmonton, AB, CANADA T6G 2G6.             |