[comp.lang.fortran] FORTRAN 77 References

hays@nosun.UUCP (Kirk Hays) (05/26/90)

Does anyone have a reference for a book on FORTRAN 77 which is an analogue
to Kernighan&Ritchie for C?  I.e., a simple introduction, with examples.

How about an analogue to Harbison&Steele's _C:A Reference Manual_?  I.e., a
more complete reference, again with examples.

Send mail, and I'll summerize...

hays@isc.intel.com

--
Kirk Hays - I'm the NRA, NRA-ILA, CCRKBA, SAF, and Neal Knox is my lobbyist.

shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter S. Shenkin) (05/29/90)

In article <751@intelisc.nosun.UUCP> hays@nosun.UUCP (Kirk Hays) writes:
>Does anyone have a reference for a book on FORTRAN 77 which is an analogue
>to Kernighan&Ritchie for C?  I.e., a simple introduction, with examples.
>
>Send mail, and I'll summerize...

*****  Mail bounced, so I'm posting.  *****

Metcalf, "Effective Fortran 77", Clarenden Press, Oxford, 1985, is excellent
to read to figure out if what you are coding is standard Fortran.  It also
has editorial remarks peppered throughout which tell you, in effect, "this
construct, though legal, is dangerous;  avoid it!"  For example, he inveighs
against naming variables in the same COMMON block differently in different
subroutines.  I usually agree with these opinions of his.

It's not a good book to learn Fortran from, however, and it took me a long
time to learn to use it as a reference.  The index is poor;  the table of
contents is more useful.  Once you've found the place where your issue is
discussed, however, the presentation is very clear.

	-P.
--
Peter S. Shenkin, Department of Chemistry, Barnard College, New York, NY  10027