[comp.lang.fortran] Fortran, and Fortran programmers

rfinch@caldwr.water.ca.gov (Ralph Finch) (07/28/90)

In article <11053@chaph.usc.edu> ajayshah@aludra.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:

. . .

>My grouse with the "fortran-style-programmer" lies in the way he
>takes fortran to be the black-box solution to every computing
>problem.  There is something so myopic there, it really gets me
>irritated talking with such a specimen.

That's the problem; the programmer, not the language.  A little
thought goes a long way in programming any language.  Problem is that
most engineers can't seem to grasp the programming paradigm (they
could but don't want to).  Thus their programs are horrible.  The fact
that they are written in Fortran is almost irrevelant.

I am in a fairly long process cleaning up old Fortran code.  It is
amazingly poor code, and that has nothing to do with being in Fortran.
--
Ralph Finch			916-445-0088
rfinch@water.ca.gov		...ucbvax!ucdavis!caldwr!rfinch