[comp.lang.fortran] MS Fortran and DOS

ghenniga@nmsu.edu (Gary Hennigan) (08/10/90)

Hello,

   I have a problem I hope someone out there can help with. I have MS
FORTRAN v5.00 at home on my PC and was wondering if it is possible to
do DOS level calls from within my FORTRAN code, specifically what I
would like to do is be able to do a CD from within my code and
possibly run some external executables such as PKZIP. I'm an "old
hand" at FORTRAN programming but have never had to try to do
interaction with system level calls from within FORTRAN.
   I realize this is a jump for FORTRAN but since my main thrust is in
numerical analysis of EE problems I found FORTRAN to be my best choice
and only have room for either FORTRAN or C on my hard disk so I of
course chose FORTRAN.

Any help, even to tell me NO WAY, would be appreciated!

Thanks,
--
Gary Hennigan
+  e-mail: ghenniga@NMSU.Edu, henninsf@maxwel.NMSU.Edu                      +

jwhite@dtoa3.dt.navy.mil (White) (08/10/90)

In article <GHENNIGA.90Aug9233707@tesla.nmsu.edu> ghenniga@nmsu.edu (Gary Hennigan) writes:
>Hello,
>
>   I have a problem I hope someone out there can help with. I have MS
>FORTRAN v5.00 at home on my PC and was wondering if it is possible to
>do DOS level calls from within my FORTRAN code, specifically what I
>would like to do is be able to do a CD from within my code and
>possibly run some external executables such as PKZIP. I'm an "old
>hand" at FORTRAN programming but have never had to try to do
>interaction with system level calls from within FORTRAN.
>   I realize this is a jump for FORTRAN but since my main thrust is in
>numerical analysis of EE problems I found FORTRAN to be my best choice
>and only have room for either FORTRAN or C on my hard disk so I of
>course chose FORTRAN.
>
>Any help, even to tell me NO WAY, would be appreciated!
>
>Thanks,
>--
>Gary Hennigan

Hello,
     Microsoft Fortran Version 5.00 (ver 4.0+, actually) has the C functions
'system' and spawnlp' buiilt in to is libraries (assumming you did not
require C compatability?).  These will give you what you need, The required
information is buried in Section 4.2.5 (page 86) of the Advanced Topics
book.  They also include a demonstration program DEMOEXEC.FOR that gives
examples on using these routines.  I'm not suprised that you could not
find this info, I knew about it from a upgrade flyer for Version 4.01
and I think that they should have placed this information with the other
additional procedures in the reference book.

Hope this helps you and anyone else that needs this info;

Joe White
jwhite@dtoa3.dt.navy.mil

I don't work for Microsoft, I just use their product in this instance