[comp.lang.fortran] Various Fortrans

wsb@boise.Eng.Sun.COM (Walt Brainerd) (08/15/90)

> 	1953	FORTRAN I
The first Fortran compiler was not delivered until 1957.
I heard it was to General Electric; can anyone confirm/refute that?
Not sure when someone actually started working on it.
> 	19??	FORTRAN II  ?
> 	19??	FORTRAN III ?
> 	1966	FORTRAN IV
This was a vendor product (IBM); other vendors had other various names.
The standard based on this generation became called Fortran 66
only after work started on Fortran 77.
> 	1977	FORTRAN 77
This, of course, was (still is) a standard.
> 	198?	FORTRAN 8X
Others have straightened this out.
> 	1990?   FORTRAN 90  ?
The correct way to write it (per the standard itself) is Fortran 90 (c/lc).
The final ballot to make Fortran 90 an ISO standard is being taken this fall.
There is very little doublt that this will be a standard early next year.
--
Walt Brainerd        Sun Microsystems, Inc.
wsb@eng.sun.com      MS MTV 5-40

usenet@nlm.nih.gov (usenet news poster) (08/15/90)

wsb@boise.Eng.Sun.COM (Walt Brainerd) writes:
>> 	1953	FORTRAN I
>The first Fortran compiler was not delivered until 1957.
>I heard it was to General Electric; can anyone confirm/refute that?
>Not sure when someone actually started working on it.

I know that the GE Laboratories in Schnectedy NY were working with
Fortran in the 50s.  The precise dates and whether it was the first
site I don't know.

>> 	19??	FORTRAN II  ?
>> 	19??	FORTRAN III ?
>> 	1966	FORTRAN IV
>This was a vendor product (IBM); other vendors had other various names.
>The standard based on this generation became called Fortran 66
>only after work started on Fortran 77.

Don't forget Fortran IV Plus, a series of DEC extensions to Fortran IV
which eventually matured into VMS Fortran and shipped with the first
VAXs (~1975).  Although many of the VMS Fortran extensions were derived
from or incorporated into Fortran 77, many were not and VMS Fortran
remains a distinct dialect in active use.

>> 	1977	FORTRAN 77
>This, of course, was (still is) a standard....
>--
>Walt Brainerd        Sun Microsystems, Inc.

David States