[comp.lang.fortran] Fortran REAL*16

pearmana@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk (Andy Pearman) (09/10/90)

Does anyone know if the latest version of Sun's Fortran compiler
supports REAL*16 variables for quad precision.

If not, does anyone else produce a compiler that does support this
feature.

Failing that, is REAL*16 supported on any other Unix-based machines ?

  Thanks for any help you can give,

   Andy Pearman

--

Andy Pearman, Computer Dept, Philips Research Labs, Redhill, Surrey, England.
              pearmana@prl.philips.co.uk

chidsey@smoke.BRL.MIL (Irving Chidsey) (09/11/90)

In article <1148@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk> pearmana@prlhp1.UUCP writes:
<
<
<Failing that, is REAL*16 supported on any other Unix-based machines ?
<
<  Thanks for any help you can give,
<
<   Andy Pearman
<
<Andy Pearman, Computer Dept, Philips Research Labs, Redhill, Surrey, England.
<              pearmana@prl.philips.co.uk

	Convex and Cray both do.  Cray calls real*8 real and real*16 double.
Convex also has a compiler switch that makes real = real*8 and double = real*16.

						Irv

--
I do not have signature authority.  I am not authorized to sign anything.
I am not authorized to commit the BRL, the DOA, the DOD, or the US Government

mitchell@ai.toronto.edu (David Mitchell) (09/11/90)

In article <1147@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk> pearmana@prlhp1.UUCP writes:

>Does anyone know if the latest version of Sun's Fortran compiler
>supports REAL*16 variables for quad precision.

I'm looking at a brand new Sun Fortran 1.3.1 manual right now - REAL*16
is not in the list of types.

--
Dave Mitchell
---

cunniff@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ross Cunniff) (09/12/90)

> Failing that, is REAL*16 supported on any other Unix-based machines ?

The f77 compiler on the HP 9000 Series 800 computers supports REAL*16
as of 7.0.  The Ansi C compiler on the same machine supports the type
'long double' which has the same representation.  All of the usual
operations are supported.

>   Andy Pearman

				Ross Cunniff
				Hewlett-Packard Colorado Language Lab