[net.movies] The Gods Must be Crazy

Zonus.ES@XEROX.ARPA (08/27/84)

I highly recommend "The gods must be crazy". It's one of the best, most
funny and intelligent movie I have ever seen. (Can be seen at the Music
Hall (I am pretty sure) in the mid-Wilshire area).

Gerard

dyer.PASA@XEROX.ARPA (08/28/84)

It's one of the finest, and most unique movies I've seen in a long time.
It was good to see a different sort of movie.  It's an Afican film
that's been showing for 3 years non-stop in several countries around the
world and just opened in the States.  It's showing at the Music Hall at
9036 Wilshire.  Get there early....the crowd last Friday was quite large
and parking is difficult.

Lounette Dyer

Schiller.PA@XEROX.ARPA (09/04/84)

Does anyone know if this movie is playing in the San Jose - Palo Alto Area?

lfb@mb2c.UUCP (Luke Burke) (11/06/84)

I saw the movie "The Gods Must be Crazy" before I saw any reviews of the
movie.  I thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was.  A romantic, adventure-
comedy set in Africa.  The lead actor is a bumbling Chevy Chase-type
researcher and the lead actress is a teacher moved from the city.  I
laughed most of the time.  On the other hand, a review that I read in
a liberal weekly newspaper called the movie patronizing and racist.
I can see where that reviewer was coming from, but this movie is so
unusual and unpretentious (unlike our Hollywood fare), that I would
highly recommend it.

Luke Burke
mb2c!lfb

liang@cvl.UUCP (Eli Liang) (05/04/85)

I just saw this movie for the third time and I thought it was sooo funny.
My only complaint has to deal with the lip synch/dubbing.  Does anyone know
why this movie was dubbed at all?  I mean, our brothers in South Africa
speak English don't they?  Its unfortunate that this movie received little
attention in this country.  It is quite a gem.

-eli

p.s.  If you're in the MD/VA/DC area, you can catch TGMbC at the Outer Circle
Theatre on Wisc Ave.  Its been playing there all of 29 weeks

Eli Liang  ---
        University of Maryland Computer Vision Lab, (301) 454-4526
        ARPA: liang@cvl, liang@lemuria, eli@mit-mc, eli@mit-prep
        CSNET: liang@cvl  UUCP: {seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!cvl!liang

rance@cornell.UUCP (W. Rance Cleaveland) (05/06/85)

> I just saw this movie for the third time and I thought it was sooo funny.
> My only complaint has to deal with the lip synch/dubbing.  Does anyone know
> why this movie was dubbed at all?  I mean, our brothers in South Africa
> speak English don't they?

The majority of whites in South Africa (60%) speak a variant of Dutch called
Afrikaanse, and while I don't know for sure I would suspect that this movie
is in Afrikaanse.  Hence the dubbing....

I too thoroughly enjoyed this movie; the humor was a bit cliched in places,
but over-all I thought it was one of the funnier movies I saw this year.
My enjoyment was tempered, however, by nagging suspicions that the movie
had racist overtones.  A review in one of the local papers accused the movie
of being patronizing to African blacks--the term "noble savage" was bandied
about in the review in a derogatory fashion.  Personally, I didn't find the
movie racist; it seems to me that fundamental human traits, rather than
stereotypically "black" traits, were being parodied.

Any discussion, netlanders?

Rance Cleaveland

joel@peora.UUCP (Joel Upchurch) (05/07/85)

> I just saw this movie for the third time and I thought it was sooo funny.
> My only complaint has to deal with the lip synch/dubbing.  Does anyone know
> why this movie was dubbed at all?  I mean, our brothers in South Africa
> speak English don't they?  Its unfortunate that this movie received little
> attention in this country.  It is quite a gem.

Actually the official language of the Republic of South Africa is
Afrikaans, a dialect of Dutch. Maybe you were thinking of Zimbabwe
a.k.a. Rhodesia.

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (05/07/85)

In article <384@cvl.UUCP> liang@cvl.UUCP (Eli Liang) writes:
>My only complaint has to deal with the lip synch/dubbing.  Does anyone know
>why this movie was dubbed at all?  I mean, our brothers in South Africa
>speak English don't they?

I think that the movie was postsynced.  In other words, they didn't record
the dialog at the time of the shooting, but added it later, dubbing it in.
The Italians are the masters of this.  Most Italian films are shot this way,
even when they are to be shown in Italian.  The technique is cheaper because
you don't ruin shots because of bad sound, you don't need to work at keeping
as quiet a set, you don't have to pay as many sound people, etc.  The Italians
have become so adept at this that they can make English language films and TV
look like they were made in Italian.

>Its unfortunate that this movie received little
>attention in this country.  It is quite a gem.

For a foreign movie not from Britain, it's received a lot of attention.  It's
grossed, if memory serves, in excess of $20 million dollars.  Of course, it's
release pattern was big city first, but I imagine it's made its way to most
American cities by now.
--
        			Peter Reiher
        			reiher@ucla-cs.arpa

liang@cvl.UUCP (Eli Liang) (05/08/85)

> > I just saw this movie for the third time and I thought it was sooo funny.
> > My only complaint has to deal with the lip synch/dubbing.  Does anyone know
> > why this movie was dubbed at all?  I mean, our brothers in South Africa
> > speak English don't they?
>
> The majority of whites in South Africa (60%) speak a variant of Dutch called
> Afrikaanse, and while I don't know for sure I would suspect that this movie
> is in Afrikaanse.  Hence the dubbing....
>
> I too thoroughly enjoyed this movie; the humor was a bit cliched in places,
> but over-all I thought it was one of the funnier movies I saw this year.
> My enjoyment was tempered, however, by nagging suspicions that the movie
> had racist overtones.  A review in one of the local papers accused the movie
> of being patronizing to African blacks--the term "noble savage" was bandied
> about in the review in a derogatory fashion.  Personally, I didn't find the
> movie racist; it seems to me that fundamental human traits, rather than
> stereotypically "black" traits, were being parodied.
>
> Any discussion, netlanders?
>
> Rance Cleaveland

I'm sorry to have spoken before thinking.  I've gone about under the
impression that South Africans (the white minority) were much like
Australians....  But of course, no that I think of it, the whites in
South Africa derive from Dutch settlers and not the English...  Something
from a World History class ages ago.

-eli

malcolm@utcsri.UUCP (Malcolm MacPhail) (05/09/85)

> My only complaint has to deal with the lip synch/dubbing.  Does anyone know
> why this movie was dubbed at all?  I mean, our brothers in South Africa
> speak English don't they?

    I do believe that they do speak English, among other languages and
dialects.  The problem was probably that they speak with very very strong
accents.  In fact when I was watching the news one day there was an interview
with some South African police chief, and his accent was so strong that they
actually had subtitles!  I did pick out some english words, but not many.
Of course it could have been some half english dialect.
--
				Malcolm MacPhail,
				Department of Computer Science,

UUCP:  {linus,ihnp4,allegra,floyd,utzoo,cornell,decwrl,uw-beaver}!utcsri!malcolm
CSNET: malcolm@Toronto
ARPA:  malcolm%Toronto@CSNet-Relay
--

jeff@rtech.ARPA (Jeff Lichtman) (05/10/85)

> I too thoroughly enjoyed this movie; the humor was a bit cliched in places,
> but over-all I thought it was one of the funnier movies I saw this year.
> My enjoyment was tempered, however, by nagging suspicions that the movie
> had racist overtones.  A review in one of the local papers accused the movie
> of being patronizing to African blacks--the term "noble savage" was bandied
> about in the review in a derogatory fashion.  Personally, I didn't find the
> movie racist; it seems to me that fundamental human traits, rather than
> stereotypically "black" traits, were being parodied.
>
> Any discussion, netlanders?
>
> Rance Cleaveland

The character of !i (the bushman who takes the Coke bottle to the edge of the
world) is a foil for the other, more "civilised" characters.  The main theme
of the movie is that people in technological society spend their lives rushing
about like ants.  It was necessary for !i to be a "noble savage" to make
everyone else seem ridiculous.

Reviewers like the one mentioned above take life too seriously.  "The Gods Must
Be Crazy" is a *comedy*.  The main idea was to make people laugh.  I don't
think it was trying to make any deep statement.  If the movie had any message,
it was that people make their lives too complicated.

I doubt that the racism issue would have come up at all if the movie were not
made in South Africa.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
aka Swazoo Koolak

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff