[comp.lang.fortran] > Wanted: DOS Fortran Compiler for 386 instruction set.

ferstl@ipkima.uucp (Fritz Ferstl) (09/13/90)

In comp.lang.fortran you write:

>Need information re: DOS Fortran Compiler for 386 instruction set.
>Any information on availabilty/ references/ recommendations appreciated.

>Ben    olasov@cs.columbia.edu

The most advanced DOS FTN-Compiler for 386 IS I know from is the new
Lahey Compiler (I don't rember the type secification an the version, but
Lahey is well known, so you should get it). I read about it in the German
magazine C't. There was a comparison between the Lahey and others which
support some kind of memory extensions. The Lahey was one of the few (and
the best of all) that also supports the 386 IS. The author claimed:
The Lahey Compiler is very fast, both according the compile time (some
1000 lines source codes in some seconds - high optimization). In order to
use memory extensions you have to compile especially for this purpose and
execute your programs via `run prog' or something like that. The main dis-
advantages seemed to be development environment (nothing integrated like
Borland or newer MicroSoft compilers with editor, debugger and so on) and
price (s.th. around or above 1000 $).

Unfortunately I haven't used this compiler (im working with UNIX, thereforeI'm looking
for a good FTN Compiler too). So I can't tell you about personal
experiences. Nevertheless, I hope s.th. of the above is true :-(

	Fritz

Fritz Ferstl, iP-Systems, Steinhaeuserstr. 20, 7500 Karlsruhe 1, W-Germany
Phone: +49 + 721 + 811091 (VOICE) - 811095 (FAX) - 811096 (PEP)
E-Mail: ferstl@ipkama.ka.sub.org

ndoduc@framentec.fr (Nhuan Doduc) (09/17/90)

In <90.256.12:32:25@ipkima.uucp> ferstl@ipkima.uucp (Fritz Ferstl) writes:

>>Need information re: DOS Fortran Compiler for 386 instruction set.
>>Any information on availabilty/ references/ recommendations appreciated.

There are at least 3 good fortran comnpilers for 386 (486 too)
Lahey, FTN77/386 from Polyhedron Software (&Salford University) and MicroWay,
all 3 excellent quality. I do not want to range them in any order because they
are really good. Just some specific details ...
Lahey can generate Weitek code even in 16 bits-mode (although you'll need a
memory driver) although this may be irrelevant for you but this shows what
they are doing (they are finishing a 860 compiler too)
FTN77 thanks to their DBOS deiver can use ANY coprocessor, or even without
any coprocessor, with a SINGLE exe file
MicroWay has the same compiler running with Dos and Unix
All tjree can generate 486 code ...

--nh
Nhuan DODUC,
Framentec-Cognitech, Paris, France, ndoduc@framentec.fr or ndoduc@cognitech.fr,