[net.movies] A Canticle For Liebowitz

sth@rayssd.UUCP (05/02/85)

My uncle was formerly the vice chairman of the board at Twentieth Century Fox,
and is currently looking for a project after losing a power struggle.  I am
trying to convince him that Canticle would be a surefire money maker, as many
people consider it the finest science fiction ever written (myself included).
My question to the net is this:  would you gentle movie goers go see a pro-
duction of Liebowitz?  If there is sufficient response, I will go to my uncle
with evidence of popular support.  Many thanx in advance for your time and
effort.

Steve Hirsch,		{allegra, decvax!brunix, linus, ccieng5}!rayssd!sth
Raytheon Co,		 Submarine Signal Div., Portsmouth, RI

schatz@bambi.UUCP (Bruce R. Schatz) (05/04/85)

the problem with most good science fiction novels is that the interesting
parts are the philosophical and sociological observations which don't
necessarily translate well into cinematic terms.  that is, they appeal
to intellectuals who like rich worlds and slow pacing not flashy pictures
and fast pacing.   Canticle for Liebowitz was boring even to this
intellectual and, i suspect, quite unappealing to today's audiences.

a much better suggestion would be Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination.
this has breathlessly fast pacing and vivid imagery as well as considerable
intellectual depth.  it is a retelling of the classic revenge novel
The Count of Monto Cristo in a futuristic setting where thought-controlled
teleportation is the social norm.
it has been optioned for a movie several times but never completed.

my personal favorite is Olaf Stapledon's  Odd John.
this tells of the infancy and youth of a Homo Superior, a human of the
next level of intelligence.  it is told in a matter of fact fashion
with many sharp comments about human nature and society.
its puckish perspective and spiritual awakening may well appeal to
today's counterculture, the rebellious teenagers who constitute a large
portion of the movie-going audience.
the movie rights were owned by the late George Pal, who produced such
sf film classics as The Time Machine and War of the Worlds.

jbuck@epicen.UUCP (Joe Buck) (05/07/85)

> From: sth@rayssd.UUCP
> Date: 2 May 85 13:46:59 GMT
>
>                     ... Canticle would be a surefire money maker, as many
> people consider it the finest science fiction ever written (myself included).
> My question to the net is this:  would you gentle movie goers go see a pro-
> duction of Liebowitz?
> Steve Hirsch

I'd go, but I doubt if he can get the movie made. There are no female characters
and no sex (there are a lot of places where some might be inserted, but then
we'd all flame your uncle), and the viewpoint isn't very Hollywoodish. I'm
afraid all the post-Holocaust movies come out looking like Mad Max.

Don't hold your breath.
--
Joe Buck				Entropic Processing, Inc.
					10011 N. Foothill Blvd.

kimery@wdl1.UUCP (Sam Kimery) (05/10/85)

> My question to the net is this:  would you gentle movie goers go see a pro-
> duction of Liebowitz?

without a doubt.