[comp.lang.fortran] f2c - great but I found a bug

MICPRF@lure.latrobe.edu.au (09/26/90)

It's a while since I browsed through this newsgroup, but the comments
here on f2c prompted me to post something about my experience with
f2c and a possible bug in it.
I used it to install S on my Unix V Rel 2 box (68010 based CPU) as the
f77 compiler was brain-dead at several points. f2c worked beautifully
with one exception - the expansion of fortran character function calls
produced variable numbers of multiples of the additional arguments needed
in the C code. As I recall these are a pointer to the char variable where
thte output is to be stored and the length of the char string (my memory
here is fuzzy as it is some time since I did this). These 2 additional
arguments were used in the character function calls in the generated C code
but, depending on the context of the call were included not just once,
but 2 or 3 times. I removed the extraneous arguments from the C code
manually.
Now I am wondering - did anyone else see this happening?
Was it a genuine bug and has it since been fixed?
Apart from this I think f2c is great. The S code I was installing
is a massive package written in a mixture of C, fortran, ratfor, efl,
and other unix critters many of which generate fortran code which is
subsequently compiled. There are hundreds of interlinked routines and
f2c handled it all ok, with the above-noted exception.
				Paul Fisher (micprf@lure.latrobe.edu.oz.au).

MICPRF@lure.latrobe.edu.au (10/06/90)

In article <4710@lure.latrobe.edu.au>, I (MICPRF@lure.latrobe.edu.au wrote):
> It's a while since I browsed through this newsgroup, but the comments
> here on f2c prompted me to post something about my experience with
> f2c and a possible bug in it.
> Now I am wondering - did anyone else see this happening?
> Was it a genuine bug and has it since been fixed?
> Apart from this I think f2c is great. The S code I was installing
> is a massive package written in a mixture of C, fortran, ratfor, efl,
> and other unix critters many of which generate fortran code which is
> subsequently compiled. There are hundreds of interlinked routines and
> f2c handled it all ok ...........

As a result of email between the creators of f2c and myself, I
now know that the bug was genuine, AND more importantly that it
was fixed some months ago. I'm posting this so potential users of
f2c will know that this is so and won't be put off by my earlier
bug report. f2c is great .. no buts.
 				Paul Fisher (micprf@lure.latrobe.edu.oz.au).