[comp.lang.fortran] wnated: mac fortran compiler

mt0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mary E. Tyler) (09/28/90)

i need a mac fortran compiler and related manuals...etc. etc.  please
reply to mt0i+@andrew.cmu.edu or 412-268-3902
                                                meri

ndoduc@framentec.fr (Nhuan Doduc) (10/02/90)

In <Eb0qPPK00Uh7A1IKMm@andrew.cmu.edu> mt0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mary E. Tyler) writes:

>i need a mac fortran compiler and related manuals...etc. etc.  please
>reply to mt0i+@andrew.cmu.edu or 412-268-3902
>                                                meri

Microsoft is a "sure" value, eg. version 2.2 is correct.
Language System (under MPW) may give you WRONG numerical results
DCM fortran, if still alive, for me is the best
Absoft is also worth mentionning

--nh
Nhuan DODUC,
Framentec-Cognitech, Paris, France, ndoduc@framentec.fr or ndoduc@cognitech.fr,
Association Francaise des Utilisateurs d'Unix, France, doduc@afuu.fr

hirchert@harriett.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Kurt Hirchert) (10/04/90)

In article <1530@ftc.framentec.fr> ndoduc@framentec.fr (Nhuan Doduc) writes:
>In <Eb0qPPK00Uh7A1IKMm@andrew.cmu.edu> mt0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mary E. Tyler) writes:
>
>>i need a mac fortran compiler and related manuals...etc. etc.  please
>>reply to mt0i+@andrew.cmu.edu or 412-268-3902
>>                                                meri
>
>Microsoft is a "sure" value, eg. version 2.2 is correct.
Microsoft Fortran for the Macintosh version 2.2 is simply version 2.2 of the
Absoft compiler.  Absoft has fixed a lot of bugs and added a lot of features
since then.  I wouldn't recommend buying version 2.2 at this stage.
--
Kurt W. Hirchert     hirchert@ncsa.uiuc.edu

kanala@sc2a.unige.ch (10/09/90)

In article <1530@ftc.framentec.fr>, ndoduc@framentec.fr (Nhuan Doduc) writes:
> In <Eb0qPPK00Uh7A1IKMm@andrew.cmu.edu> mt0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mary E. Tyler) writes:
>
>>i need a mac fortran compiler and related manuals...etc. etc.  please
>>reply to mt0i+@andrew.cmu.edu or 412-268-3902
>>                                                meri
>
> Microsoft is a "sure" value, eg. version 2.2 is correct.
> Language System (under MPW) may give you WRONG numerical results
> DCM fortran, if still alive, for me is the best
> Absoft is also worth mentionning
>
> --nh
> Nhuan DODUC,
> Framentec-Cognitech, Paris, France, ndoduc@framentec.fr or ndoduc@cognitech.fr,
> Association Francaise des Utilisateurs d'Unix, France, doduc@afuu.fr

I am programming in Fortran since dark ages when the three character machine
(if I remember correctly, it was 7040) was the only choice, punch cards the
only input and printed paper the only output. I think that if you prefer Mac
over MS-DOS, you have your good reasons. My good reasons are the same when
it comes to use or not to use related software, and, of course, the entire
development environment.

Needless to say, I hate Microsoft because of <<< MS-DOS >>>. When it comes
to do some useful work, one cannot be sentimental in the choice of work
tools: so I am using MS-Excel since the version 1.0 and I thought I could
use MS-Fortran compiler. The choice was quite easy: it was the only product
for Mac. (And the reason why I originally bought my Mac was an outstanding
Microsoft product named MS-Excel.)

If you read carefully the smallprint on the inner cover page of MS-Fortran
manual, you can find that "Absoft is a registered trademark of Absoft Cor-
poration". Find out, why. The "sure" value, eg. version 2.2, as states
ndoduc@framentec.fr (Nhuan Doduc), Framentec-Cognitech, Paris, France,
Association Francaise des Utilisateurs d'Unix, is nothing else than a
licensed Absoft compiler. It is a dead product: Microsoft seems to no more
be able to assure upgrades. If you want to go beyond 2.2, you have to do it
Absoft. The current version of MacFortran is 2.4. Absoft is a very strong
company when it comes to speak Fortran: they do it for many systems and they
do it very well. You can find Absoft Fortran compilers for Mac OS (plain
Finder), A/UX, MPW, as well as special 020 and transputer versions. It seems
that their latest mainframe caliber MacFortran II could be the fastest Fortran
available for Mac. If they speak Fortran, they know what they are speaking
about.

An another good product is Language System's Fortran. I like it very much.
If you do not read manuals, though, you can get WRONG numerical results from
it, in particular, if you omit to read Appendix A: SANE Numerics. Language
System Fortran runs as an MPW tool, therefore you will need to read many
manuals and it is recommended to have Inside Mac near to you. The company
also makes Wild Things, HyperCard XCMDs that are usable to add a very Mac
interface to the numerical code. The new version of HyperCard 2.0 (multiwin-
dows, resizable, etc.) deserves a consideration as an interface alternative.

If you get one of these two products, it is not very probable that you will
be left out of game a year or two later because the company dropped the
product.

There is also a small-caliber product, DCM Data Product's MacTran Plus. It
has a big advantage: no need to read Inside Mac and MPW manuals. It comes
with a High Level Toolbox Interface and a Low Level Toolbox Interface, so
that you can avoid the direct acces to the toolbox at all. You have the
ability to add routines written in asm (assembler) and C. Editor, compiler
and linker are integrated and you can work and work without quitting your
environment. The version 3.0 is slightly buggy, manual is a little bit poor
and incomplete and you will not get the needed sample code to explore the
most specific feature, the HLTBI and LLTBI. If you get a rare bomb ID=01 on
a classic Mac II, you will get it systematically on the Mac IIfx (from
editor). It seems that the editor bombs even at ver. 4.0 of Fortran, so that
a replacement editor should be used instead(on an fx): QUED/M, Vantage, or so.

Hope this helps,

Roman Kanala, University of Geneva, in%"kanala@sc2a.unige.ch"

DISCLAIMER: The official opinion of my employer may be different. If there
is anything that could be considered as a ressemblence between my employer's
official opinion and my personal opinions expressed here, considering that
they are independent, it is only a pure coincidence.