[comp.lang.fortran] FORTRAN 77 Book Recommendations

mking@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Marianne King) (10/24/90)

I'm starting to program in FORTRAN 77 on a variety of Unix machines.
My FORTRAN is a bit rusty and I'd like recommendations on some good
FORTRAN books.

Thanks in advance.

Marianne King
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
mking@lll-crg.llnl.gov
(415) 423-4116

anda@cs.umn.edu (Andrew A. Anda) (10/24/90)

In article <70207@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> mking@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Marianne King) writes:

>I'm starting to program in FORTRAN 77 on a variety of Unix machines.
>My FORTRAN is a bit rusty and I'd like recommendations on some good
>FORTRAN books.

   Three books, which I continue to find useful as quick references,
are intended for someone with more or less your background
(good programmer but weak on FORTRAN).  They are:

@BOOK{lw:gfs,
   AUTHOR       = {J. M. Levesque AND J. W. Williamson},
   TITLE        = {A Guidebook to Fortran on Supercomputers},
   PUBLISHER    = {Academic Press},
   ADDRESS      = {San Diego, CA},
   YEAR         = {1989}
 }

@BOOK{cvl:fam,
    AUTHOR       = {T. F. Coleman AND {Van Loan}, C.},
    TITLE        = {Handbook for Matrix Computations},
    SERIES       = {Frontiers in Applied Mathematics},
    EDITION      = {first},
    PUBLISHER    = {SIAM},
    ADDRESS      = {Philadelphia},
    VOLUME       = {4},
    YEAR         = {1988}
}

@BOOK{pdt:ffp,
    AUTHOR       = {P. D. Terry},
    TITLE        = {FORTRAN From Pascal},
    PUBLISHER    = {Addison-Wesley},
    YEAR         = {1987}
}

"FORTRAN From Pascal" assumes an initial command of Pascal, and it
shows how to reproduce Pascal's functionality in FORTRAN. Of
particular utility are the chapters on static data structures
(records, sets, etc), recursion (recursion implemented with explicit
stacks) and dynamic data structures (linked lists, heaps, and
trees).  In short, this book has simple examples of many utilities
that many folks think are outside the capability of FORTRAN.

I will quote from the preface to "Handbook for Matrix Computations":
   Our treatment of Fortran 77 in  Chapter 1 involves a much
   stronger emphasis on arrays than is accorded by other authors.
   We also assume that the reader has experience with some
   high-level programming language.  This might be in the form of a
   recent course in Pascal or a course in Fortran taken many years
   ago and now half-forgotten.
The second and third chapters cover the Basic Linear Algebra
Subprograms (BLAS) and LINPACK respectively.  The fourth and last
chapter abandons FORTRAN and covers MATLAB.  In the first chapter,
the last section, covering programming tips, has useful advice on
coding for accuracy and style.

"A Guidebook to Fortran on Supercomputers" is indispensable for
understanding how to write efficient loops on a vector
supercomputer.  This work is more of a suppliment than the other
two.  In a sense, this book continues the ideas introduced in
Metcalf's "FORTRAN Optimization."

This is by no means a comprehensive list, but I believe that these
three books can quickly get you to a professional level of
competency.  Enjoy.

				Andy

--
Andrew Allen Anda: anda@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu
Computer Science Dept., University of Minnesota, Mpls.